• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Note 4 thoughts and a huge GRRRR

gopens

Feb 26, 2010
So I went to my local AT&T today to see if they had any white Note 4's. Sure enough they did. So I bought one and out the door I went. I got home and was playing with this beautiful machine. After playing around with it for and hour, I realized this is one of the best phones I have ever owned...and that says a lot. So I wanted to check out the sound of the 3 dollar cheap ear buds that typically come with other Galaxy items that I have bought when I was with Sprint. So I opened the box and did not see the ear buds. So I called the AT&T salesmen and asked if I left the ear buds on the table. He told me that they did not come with the ear buds. WHAT????? I paid 800ish dollars and no 3 dollar ear buds? What is frustrating is it seems that the other carriers Note 4's come with ear buds...at least from what I have seen from unboxings on youtube. Though I am super happy with the phone, I am annoyed they could not give me ear phones. Sure I have a million pairs laying around the house...but it is just the principle.

So I went to my local AT&T today to see if they had any white Note 4's. Sure enough they did. So I bought one and out the door I went. I got home and was playing with this beautiful machine. After playing around with it for and hour, I realized this is one of the best phones I have ever owned...and that says a lot. So I wanted to check out the sound of the 3 dollar cheap ear buds that typically come with other Galaxy items that I have bought when I was with Sprint. So I opened the box and did not see the ear buds. So I called the AT&T salesmen and asked if I left the ear buds on the table. He told me that they did not come with the ear buds. WHAT????? I paid 800ish dollars and no 3 dollar ear buds? What is frustrating is it seems that the other carriers Note 4's come with ear buds...at least from what I have seen from unboxings on youtube. Though I am super happy with the phone, I am annoyed they could not give me ear phones. Sure I have a million pairs laying around the house...but it is just the principle.

Yep, this is how it usually is for phones from AT&T that get the AT&T branding on them. AT&T takes out the ear phones for some stupid reason. Honestly though, I thought it was a huge thing, but after hearing what the originals sound like, I could honestly care less. They did this with both Note 2 and Note 3 I got from them, so I expected the same before they every did unboxing of Note 4 videos. But, like you said, "it is just the principle."

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. Again, it is the principle more then the ear buds. Like I said, I have probably 6 Apple ear phone sets along with another 8-10 Galaxy ear buds. To be honest, I really like the galaxy ear buds because for whatever reason, they are super comfortable in my ears. They may not sound the best, but the are comfy. I just could not believe I did not get a pair. Hell, I was getting ear phones with the Motorola Razor back in 2005. I was just shocked thats all. Especially since other carriers have the ear buds. Oh well.

Upvote 0
Just avoid anything higher than 16 ohms, since the output from the audio jack is weak.

I use a pair of Klipsch Image S4A (II) whose impedance is 18 ohms and it's plenty loud - and that using both Poweramp and the stock player. Actually any volume level in the red area hurts the ears.

I've now tested these earphones on my iPhone 6 and my LG G3... and to be honest, the testing results aside - I think this weak output is a bit overrated. Using my ears - since that is what would count the most to me - my G3 actually is the one that sounds the weakest between the iPhone 6 and Note 4. These were all using Poweramp with the iPhone 6 using the stock player. The iPhone 6 and Note 4 sounded very close - and maybe the iPhone 6 ends up being stronger - but at that point it's so ear piercing on both I can't see this as being a real issue.

To test it further - I used my Bose OE2 headphones with a 22 Ohm impedance - and I got similar results - G3 being the weakest, iPhone 6 being the strongest, and the Note 4 very close to the iPhone 6.

Then I tried my Bose QC15 with the setting at lo sensitivity which is rated at 73 Ohm impedance. This is where you hear some real changes - but the changes were similar across the board. G3 was once again the weakest. Note 4 was second weakest. iPhone 6 was the least weak of the three - and here you actually notice how much stronger the iPhone 6 is.

But, this is just my unscientific test. At least from what I found - 22 Ohm impedance is fine. I don't have anything between 22 and 73 - and at 73, I would say it's weak - but not as weak as the G3 and really not all THAT far from the iPhone 6 (however, like I said, the iPhone 6 was noticeably louder).

Edit: I compared this song on the 3 devices.. It's a korean pop song - lol, but just so you know what I used to compare. :) http://youtu.be/yCqxCDJE7aU

Reactions: KOLIO and mcan1xx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones