1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [AT&T] Opinion about rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sdrocking, Jul 23, 2013.

1. sdrocking

sdrocking Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2013
    Hi all,

I have an AT&T Galaxy S3, running Android 4.1.1 right now. I am planning to root my device primarily to get the latest android version (at least the one released by Samsung for S3). What is the least that I need to do?

I have read about the implications of rooting but I'm not sure whether just rooting my phone without installing a custom ROM will do any good towards getting the latest android version. Flashing a custom ROM sounds a bit risky and I am not up for it right away.

Links to existing article on this particular topic will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. grunt0300

grunt0300 Android Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2012
    Male
    Retired Postal Worker
    Nokomis, Florida
    I used to be against rooting, and i admit that it was mostly the "fear factor". I finally took the plunge, after reading all that i could, and it worked out fine. Find a good thread about how to root(i used the one by Skunkape60), and follow the directions SLOWLY.:p

3. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Android Enthusiast
    None

May 16, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    Arizona
    rooting without flashing custom ROM won't give you anything additional from the updates perspective.

but you will gain the ability of new apps that require root access.

you will have to flash a custom ROM whenever you want to try a different Android version. last year, i was flashing different ROMs from 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1, and 4.2.2

if you want something "official" or Samsung/TouchWiz, you will basically be relying on a developer to port over something. for example, the Galaxy Note 2 was the first Samsung device to have 4.1.2, so there were ports over. but then we officially got 4.1.2

then now, only the Galaxy S4 has 4.2.2, but no one has ported that over yet.

4. Ariesdroid

Ariesdroid Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Male
    Loitering
    The Internet
    If you want to be rooted but don't want to flash a custom rom i would recommend CF ROOT ...search it on youtube...very simple and safe...but as was stated above, the only way to get a higher version of android on your s3 would be to flash a custom rom...I am on 4.1.2 and its stable and great...i could care less about the update to 4.2.2 for now...4.3 released today and there will def be custom roms available very soon...

5. Theonesalmon

Theonesalmon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 6, 2012
    Male
    Telecommunication systems technician
    British Columbia, Canada
    P A said on g+ that they are merging the 4.3 build right now! I don't think those guys sleep.

Might have to abandon the slim bean ship for a day or two to check it out

6. MercilessLTD

MercilessLTD Member
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Male
    Developer, Mechanic
    KY, USA
    +1 on Slim. While they aren't the first with other ROMs' features, they are definitely about stability.