1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[AT&T] Opinion about rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sdrocking, Jul 23, 2013.

1. sdrocking

sdrocking Lurker

Hi all,

I have an AT&T Galaxy S3, running Android 4.1.1 right now. I am planning to root my device primarily to get the latest android version (at least the one released by Samsung for S3). What is the least that I need to do?

I have read about the implications of rooting but I'm not sure whether just rooting my phone without installing a custom ROM will do any good towards getting the latest android version. Flashing a custom ROM sounds a bit risky and I am not up for it right away.

Links to existing article on this particular topic will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I used to be against rooting, and i admit that it was mostly the "fear factor". I finally took the plunge, after reading all that i could, and it worked out fine. Find a good thread about how to root(i used the one by Skunkape60), and follow the directions SLOWLY.:p

3. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Android Enthusiast

rooting without flashing custom ROM won't give you anything additional from the updates perspective.

but you will gain the ability of new apps that require root access.

you will have to flash a custom ROM whenever you want to try a different Android version. last year, i was flashing different ROMs from 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1, and 4.2.2

if you want something "official" or Samsung/TouchWiz, you will basically be relying on a developer to port over something. for example, the Galaxy Note 2 was the first Samsung device to have 4.1.2, so there were ports over. but then we officially got 4.1.2

then now, only the Galaxy S4 has 4.2.2, but no one has ported that over yet.

4. Ariesdroid

Ariesdroid Newbie

If you want to be rooted but don't want to flash a custom rom i would recommend CF ROOT ...search it on youtube...very simple and safe...but as was stated above, the only way to get a higher version of android on your s3 would be to flash a custom rom...I am on 4.1.2 and its stable and great...i could care less about the update to 4.2.2 for now...4.3 released today and there will def be custom roms available very soon...

5. Theonesalmon

Theonesalmon Well-Known Member

P A said on g+ that they are merging the 4.3 build right now! I don't think those guys sleep.

Might have to abandon the slim bean ship for a day or two to check it out

6. MercilessLTD

MercilessLTD Member

+1 on Slim. While they aren't the first with other ROMs' features, they are definitely about stability.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews