1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

At&t Phone Choice - Help Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by theholycow, Dec 3, 2011.

1. theholycow

theholycow Lurker
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    It's that wonderful time again, my two year contract is about to expire. Im currently on At&t with a feature phone from 2+ years ago, but I'm pretty sure my next phone is going to be an android. I have done a ton of research between phones/phones that may come out soon and I have narrowed my next phone down to 3 possibilities:

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket -
    Why?
    Big Screen, LTE, Great battery, great camera, fast phone, getting ICS
    Why not?
    Iffy resolution, not the most stylish, not a big fan of touchwiz

LG Nitro HD -
    Why?
    Great Screen, LTE, Great battery, not sure about camera, probably ICS
    Why not?
    Dont like LG's overlay, seems a bit slow, ill wait to see when it comes out

Samsung Galaxy S II
    Why?
    Big Screen, Ok battery, Great camera, fast(est?) phone
    Why not?
    Iffy resolution, not a big fan of touchwiz, no LTE, not sure about ICS

BUT wait, there's more. I do daily google searches of "galaxy nexus at&t" to see if there has been any news (att's been hinting about it) and I saw an article that the FCC passed a galaxy nexus with ATT bands.
    (cant post links yet, google it if you're curious)

I LOVE the look of the galaxy nexus and I would be very inclined to get it if it was released within the next month for ATT.

Can someone help me out? Which phone do you recommend out of the three I mentioned, and if ATT got the galaxy nexus would your choice remain the same?

I would definitely appreciate some help. Like I said, I am new to android and all that jazz but I do care about a two year decision I'm going to make and the pros and cons of the device.
    thanks so much!

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Touchwiz wont really be a problem IMO, just get a new launcher. However the SGS2 does rock a new TW version with LOTS of changes, so you may want to check it out.

However, bear in mind that out of all phones in the market, Galaxy Nexus included, none has better CPU/GPU combo than the SGS2 (except perhaps the Sensation XE), so out of the choices I'd go SGS2, unless you need 4G. AFAIK the skyrocket does not use the same Exynos chip that the original SGS2 does.

3. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    business owner
    SoCal
    Given those choices, I'd go with the Skyrocket. Don't worry about TW... it's trivial to install another launcher. You can either replace TW outright, keep it but try something else as default, or have it prompt you at each boot for your choice. The LG is all you said, but I have not found LG products to be very reliable (YMMV).

Don't rule out the Infuse 4G either. It's available at a great price now, and even w/o dual core, it's plenty fast at 1200MHz. It will never see ICS though unless you do it yourself. GL!

4. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    None of the above. Get an HTC phone.

Get either the HTC Inspire for the price, or get the Vivid for amazing performance and everything else listed above. The HTC Sense UI is great too.

5. theholycow

theholycow Lurker
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    Wow really great feedback!
    Couple things:

I don't want an HTC phone because although they have in my opinion the best UI of any android phone, their performance is iffy, the video recording (audio) is downright horrible, and the battery life is also terrible. (This is just talking about the inspire/vivid)

I'd prefer the skyrocket over the s2 because even though it doesn't have the exynos chip, it performs almost as well as it, and I heard that it also has a longer lasting battery. Also, At&t has announced that the skyrocket is going to get ICS whereas they havent said anything about the SII.

Also I was wondering, if I did get the S II because it is such a good phone, how hard would it be to install an ICS ROM on it, so it would pretty much function like the galaxy nexus?