• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] [Q] Thinking About Jumping to MJB

mrhomiec

Android Enthusiast
May 16, 2010
Arizona
so from what i understand about updating the bootloader to MJB, i can only flash custom ROMs based off TouchWiz 4.3 and up, correct?

but AOSP/CM based ROMs can be any version? as long as the bootloader is supported on that ROM?

currently i'm on S3Rx 2.2, which uses Android 4.1.2. there would be no point in making a nandroid backup, since the bootloader would be updated and i could no longer use this ROM, correct?

i was going to follow this guide:
[BOOTLOADER] How to Install a Bootloader Update - xda-developers

and then use this ROM:
S3Rx 3.0 TouchWiz 4.3 MJB (1-27-14) Full AROMA - xda-developers

so from what i understand about updating the bootloader to MJB, i can only flash custom ROMs based off TouchWiz 4.3 and up, correct?

but AOSP/CM based ROMs can be any version? as long as the bootloader is supported on that ROM?

currently i'm on S3Rx 2.2, which uses Android 4.1.2. there would be no point in making a nandroid backup, since the bootloader would be updated and i could no longer use this ROM, correct?

i was going to follow this guide:
[BOOTLOADER] How to Install a Bootloader Update - xda-developers

and then use this ROM:
S3Rx 3.0 TouchWiz 4.3 MJB (1-27-14) Full AROMA - xda-developers

If you want to root your phone, follow Skunkape60's guide in Android Central Forums. It's exactly what you need. After you root, check out Quantum roms, in XDA-Developers Forums. IMO, they're the best, and constantly upgraded. Good Luck.:p

Upvote 0
i'm already rooted, it's just the jump to the MJB bootloader would mean no going back.

i was on a stock 4.1.2 (TouchWiz) ROM, which now i can't go back to. :p

i ended up following the guide i posted, downloaded the bootloader flashable ZIP. this process went interesting smooth. a lot easier than messing around with Odin.

i also forgot to flash the MJB modem at first. so i went flashed a custom stock 4.3 ROM, i had no service and no wifi.

but once i flashed the new modem, all was well and still well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones