• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T rated worst carrier in the U.S.

Some of my friends have AT&T and won't switch because they are attached at the groin to their iPhones, yet all they do is complain about dropped calls and horrible service. I don't get it, how can you like a phone (no matter how many apps it has) if the PHONE part doesn't work.

I'll be staying with Verizon, I've really never had a problem with them, and their customer service (which I've seen complaints about - as with any company) has always treated me pretty well.

Upvote 0
I don't have any problems with signal on AT&T with my Moto Q. From Rhode Island to North Carolina, there are only (2) spots where I drop signal on I-95 and its only for 100M or so. I'm always on 3G and never on Edge, even getting full bars while on the beach on less populated area of Jersey shore. That said, the HTC TP2 on AT&T, had a varying signal strength, in all the stores I demo'd, where again my Q had solid 4 (full) bars. Could be the phone.

(2) weeks with the (2) different Droids on VZ, just driving accross my town I ran accross 3-4 dead zones, less then 2 miles from VZ store. I have the 3G->1x-> no signal while phone sits on my desk at home. Though I personally think its a Droid issue vs. network.

However I will be trying a GSM Milestone next week or so to see if I fair better.

Upvote 0
I don't have any problems with signal on AT&T with my Moto Q. From Rhode Island to North Carolina, there are only (2) spots where I drop signal on I-95 and its only for 100M or so. I'm always on 3G and never on Edge, even getting full bars while on the beach on less populated area of Jersey shore. That said, the HTC TP2 on AT&T, had a varying signal strength, in all the stores I demo'd, where again my Q had solid 4 (full) bars. Could be the phone.

(2) weeks with the (2) different Droids on VZ, just driving accross my town I ran accross 3-4 dead zones, less then 2 miles from VZ store. I have the 3G->1x-> no signal while phone sits on my desk at home. Though I personally think its a Droid issue vs. network.

However I will be trying a GSM Milestone next week or so to see if I fair better.

I had a touch pro on verizon for the past year and one of my employees had a touch pro with sprint. We had several trips from Key West to Atlanta with stops in between and he almost always had 3G and I would have 1G probably 30% of the time or more and even on 1G the phone would often report no data connection when trying to check email, web browse or audio stream. I had Sprint Hero for a month in Oct and had a trip from NFla to Key West and had no problem at all it was great.

Unfortunately in my house Sprint signal is bad. Both Verizon and sprint report 0-2 bars sporadically in my house but Verizon will not drop calls where Sprint does badly. No long trips on the droid yet but I have noticed in my local area that i get 1X much more than I would expect even though the coverage map says i should be in all strong 3Gsignal.

Upvote 0
I don't know where the dislike for AT&T comes as I never have an issue unlike my friends on other carriers, but I read an article from the New York Times about the issue that iPhones (3G and 3GS) have really bad 3G antennas.

Most of the complaints come from iPhone users and thats what everyone is hearing. don't blame the carrier on this one, blame the phone.

They did a test with multiple phones on multiple networks. They didn't have an iPhone but out of the entire test, AT&T's network showed to shadow even Verizon by a large margin.

Upvote 0
I had AT&T and it was the worst service I ever dealt with! Service, customer service....all horrible! I stuck with vzw even tho the phones sucked, because everything that makes it a phone is great! Now I have a good phone to go with the service.

Like I said I never encounter these problems at all.

My experience is the exact opposite. I have full 3G practically everywhere and when I needed help the people at the official AT&T store, they would jump through hoops for me and my family.

My teacher got his iPhone stolen yesterday. He went into AT&T, same store I go to. They gave him a 3GS instantly, nothing needed. The phone the kid stole was an old iPhone 3G too. That was an upgrade free!

Upvote 0
Like I said I never encounter these problems at all.

My experience is the exact opposite. I have full 3G practically everywhere and when I needed help the people at the official AT&T store, they would jump through hoops for me and my family.

My teacher got his iPhone stolen yesterday. He went into AT&T, same store I go to. They gave him a 3GS instantly, nothing needed. The phone the kid stole was an old iPhone 3G too.

Well you are quite lucky. I had an issue with my account not showing I had paid my security deposit (i don't know how I could be using a phone without having paid it, but thats another story)...they would turn off my phone every 3 weeks or so, I would have to fax in the copy of the money order I paid the deposit with and explain the situation every month.....most operators were extremely rude and made out like I was lying, others would finally tell me it was resolved and get my phone working again, only to have it shut off 3 weeks later and I would have to repeat the process again!

In order to receive a call in my apt I would have to leave my phone on the window sill or it would never ring.....if it did ring I would have to take the phone outside to take the call....and it would then proceed to drop every other word in the call, then drop the call completely.

When my contract was up I was MORE than glad to switch over to verizon! I have been with VZW for about 5 or 6 years now and have never dropped a call or had a bad experience with customer support. I recommend them to anyone that wants good service, and tell anyone I can to avoid AT&T like the plague!

Upvote 0
Well you are quite lucky. I had an issue with my account not showing I had paid my security deposit (i don't know how I could be using a phone without having paid it, but thats another story)...they would turn off my phone every 3 weeks or so, I would have to fax in the copy of the money order I paid the deposit with and explain the situation every month.....most operators were extremely rude and made out like I was lying, others would finally tell me it was resolved and get my phone working again, only to have it shut off 3 weeks later and I would have to repeat the process again!

In order to receive a call in my apt I would have to leave my phone on the window sill or it would never ring.....if it did ring I would have to take the phone outside to take the call....and it would then proceed to drop every other word in the call, then drop the call completely.

When my contract was up I was MORE than glad to switch over to verizon! I have been with VZW for about 5 or 6 years now and have never dropped a call or had a bad experience with customer support. I recommend them to anyone that wants good service, and tell anyone I can to avoid AT&T like the plague!

I personally don't tell people off of ANY company. Period.

My experience is an isolated event and so is yours. Give your opinion to someone and tell them what happen, but don't tell them to avoid it like the plague unless you have multiple instances of this in separate accounts of it.

Like my experience with HP computers. Separate computers at different times.

Reactions: Ynomrah
Upvote 0
Honestly At&t is the worst, I switched from them over to Verizon(go big red).

The coverage I received from AT&T sucked HARD! Every time I left my house and tried to get 3g it would be optimal for 3 seconds and then flat out disconnect and fail to find any 3g signals!

Then the calling was pretty bad to tell the truth, the clarity was crap, and anytime when there is a Prize Fight on cNet, the iphone fails at the carrier end! ALWAYS!

Upvote 0
I had a touch pro on verizon for the past year and one of my employees had a touch pro with sprint. We had several trips from Key West to Atlanta with stops in between and he almost always had 3G and I would have 1G probably 30% of the time or more and even on 1G the phone would often report no data connection when trying to check email, web browse or audio stream. I had Sprint Hero for a month in Oct and had a trip from NFla to Key West and had no problem at all it was great.

Unfortunately in my house Sprint signal is bad. Both Verizon and sprint report 0-2 bars sporadically in my house but Verizon will not drop calls where Sprint does badly. No long trips on the droid yet but I have noticed in my local area that i get 1X much more than I would expect even though the coverage map says i should be in all strong 3Gsignal.

Perhaps you should pick up an airrave.

Upvote 0
I personally don't tell people off of ANY company. Period.

My experience is an isolated event and so is yours. Give your opinion to someone and tell them what happen, but don't tell them to avoid it like the plague unless you have multiple instances of this in separate accounts of it.

Like my experience with HP computers. Separate computers at different times.

@drybones

very good statement. its signature worthy imo.

Upvote 0
Funny. I don't use iPhone and have had great service in NYC, but spotty in NJ including absolutely horrible on the NJ coast. When I travel, I get ATT signal most of the time but in many areas it's EDGE-only.

My biggest disappointment with ATT has been cost. ATT's not been anywhere near as 3G available as VZW, but they charge like they're equals. I think VZW's superbroad 3G coverage is a bit more than I need so won't pay the premium for it.

My biggest issue with ATT is that after having them for over 10 years they 1) don't treat me any differently or better than a new customer - see Premier program by Sprint 2) are noticeably lagging with LTE development and deployment and introducing new Android phones and other high-end phones and 3) just charge too much for too little.

I have no problem with ATT striking exclusivity deals with Apple, but it does not seem to have been to the advantage of the customers. Charging more for data plans because it's an Apple too.

Methinks things might get awfully difficult if ATT doesn't make some changes soon.

Upvote 0
Funny. I don't use iPhone and have had great service in NYC, but spotty in NJ including absolutely horrible on the NJ coast. When I travel, I get ATT signal most of the time but in many areas it's EDGE-only...

As always, it depends on where you are, and what phone you have, but I was really surprised when using my Moto Q "while standing in the water", in Spring Lake, NJ beaches, and had full bars 3G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones