• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Root and Unlock SIM

mrhomiec

Android Enthusiast
May 16, 2010
Arizona
so this is my first Android phone where unlocking the SIM card is possible. i've been with Verizon and Sprint so long that i never bothered looking up the unlocking abilities/procedures.

the only unlocking experience i've had in the past have been with iPhones, where the jailbreaking software has an option to unlock the SIM card as well.

i didn't know that you have to ride out your 2 year contract before AT&T will unlock your phone. and i've tried searching around here and XDA, but i couldn't get a good answer. i kept finding threads in regard to a Canadian carrier where you dial a number and some ROMS didn't allow the dialing of that number to work (or something like that).

is there a method to unlock the SIM card of the AT&T version without waiting out the 2 year contract?

UPDATE

so i found out AT&T will give you an unlock code if you just ask. i had confusion because it's only the iPhone that has to carry out your 2-year contract before they can unlock it for you.

i hopped on AT&T Web Chat system, and the agent just gave me the unlock code without any questioning or reasoning.

now all i need is a non-AT&T SIM card to insert into my Galaxy S3 to actually unlock the phone. :)

Upvote 0
you should be able to use the same SIM card. unless for some reason the unlocked Galaxy Nexus has a different SIM card size than Verizon.

the only reason i know the SIM card will work is cause i used my Verizon SIM card in my AT&T phone. which i believe was a Nano SIM card? or maybe a regular sized SIM card? whatevers, it can fit anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones