• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Root necessary to install rom?

First let me apologize, i'm sure this was mentioned somewhere, but i did not find the info.

I have a refurbished at&t GS3 on the way from at&t, and my intention is to load Cyanogen 10.1 4.2.2 on it immediately before i give it to my mom.

I haven't root or messed with android in a LONG time.

I looked up a couple tutorials on youtube and the one i'm thinking of specifically makes no mention of needing to root first.

Do i have to root the phone first? Or can i just follow this video step by step.

Much appreciated guys!

heres the video: How to install STABLE CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on the Samsung Galaxy S3 / III - YouTube

Yes, as Funky has stated, you need to root your phone first. It's a relatively easy process. Check this thread out and find my instructions further down the page.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/736713-lagging-slow-samsung-gs3.html#post5963801

Post back if you need further help. Also, just an inquiry, but why CM10 for the mom? As stable as it is (and I've been running it), the stock ROM is a safer overall bet. Does she prefer the clean UI?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones