• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Samsung Galaxy S3 help!

Hello, I just purchased a new S3. My carried is Bell, model number SGH 1747M, android version 4.1.1. Is it safe to root my phone? How can I unroot if the process fails? I've ready many articles on the risk involved in rooting the phone, but then it also removes the guest rights over the phone. So, please show me the step involved in rooting the phone. Thank you!

Welcome, Celtic Thunder. I've moved your post into the All Things Root section for the appropriate model of S3 to facilitate a better answer.

No, rooting is not dangerous but it will void your warranty. What is dangerous are the changes you can make after rooting. Make sure you back up the device in recovery immediately after rooting to undo any potential mistakes. The guides posted and stickied here will help you through rooting and backing up.

About antivirus, for most users it's not necessary. For those who like to install apps from places beside the Play store it's a good idea.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones