• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T says i used 4GB in 4 days?!?! 12GBin past week?!?!

RandomHero34

Apr 18, 2012
Something here is wrong. AT&T called my girlfriend and said she has $800 in overages. They claim she used 12GB in a week which is not posible for her, she rarely uses the internet on her phone. She has a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. We are going in to the AT&T store tomorrow to raise hell. They said they can back date the bill so we wouldnt be charged for 95% of the $800, but i want to know why her data usage is so high.

She has nothing in her phone pulling data. Weather is not set to auto refresh, nor is facebook, tethering is not on, no gps. Some of the data usages are when we are at home, WITH WIFI ON. Most of these are when she is at work, not on her phone.

Here is what some of here data usage looks like from att.com

Date Time To/From Type Direction Msg/Kb/Min
04/17 05:41 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 66633KB
04/17 03:27 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 30KB
04/17 12:30 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 169KB
04/17 06:50 AM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 498708KB
04/16 05:27 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 66554KB
04/16 05:05 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 101563KB
04/16 03:59 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 14KB
04/16 02:32 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 105KB
04/16 06:46 AM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 853283KB
04/15 03:54 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 66512KB
04/15 01:19 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 331893KB
04/15 09:30 AM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 332126KB At home, on wifi
04/14 09:57 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 66347KBDriving home from akron, not on her phone
04/14 07:23 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 276683KB
04/14 04:44 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 285352KBShe was driving to akron, not on here phone
04/14 11:06 AM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 269873KB
04/14
09:31 AM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 157032KB She is at home, with wifi on.
04/13 05:29 PM pta Internet/MEdia Net Sent 456833KB
Total this page 3829710KB TOTAL 3829710KB

There are 2 more pages that look like this. Has this happened to anyone else?

She has had the phone for about 2 months and this problem just started right before easter.

Where is what I posted in your other thread
My wife had the same issue 5.2 GB in 3 days, normally it would take her 3 months to use that much data! After we got the text from AT&T that they were going to throttle here data, I backed up all apps, sms, sdcards and e-mail and did a factory, twice, formatting the internal card each time as well for good measure. Only reinstalled apps from the Play Store and the data useage went back to normal.

One thing you can try is install 3G watch dog pro, it ill watch what apps use data and how much they use it. I wish I could have installed it before I reset the phone because now I will never know what happened.

If you do install 3G watch dog pro and find what app it is, please let me know

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but that sounds like user error. The system that tracks the data from the device is as exact as you could make anything. You should follow the advise above and monitor the devices usage.

AT&T will help you with the charges once maybe twice (if you believe in magic). They will not continue crediting the charges if you don't resolve the issue.

Upvote 0
So i went to AT&T, guess what, they had no idea what was wrong. Big surprise.

I was able to find out the problem yesterday. It was her email, it was set to check for emails every 30 minute. But instead of doing that, it was constantly refreshing and sucking away the data. I installed watchdog and confirmed it was the problem.

I reset her phone, and upgraded it. (it was not upgraded before the reset, this might have contributed to the problem)

All is good now and her data is back to normal. The only thing at&t did was turn her data back on.

Thanks for the help guys.

Upvote 0
Guys
I have the Galaxy Samsung IIS and every time I want to use only as a stand alone Wifi "Tablet" to surf, I disable the radio (4G LTE) by enabling the airport mode and the wifi. If you install an app like 3G Watch and My Data Manager then you can easily monitor your phone's data usage, either on Wifi or data plan and disable it if a certain limit is overpassed. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
I seem to be having a similar problem, although it cant be email or an app as i havent installed any!
I've had my phone 4-5 months and NEVER had data usage problems, ive barely scratched 200mb a month with my data always on, now i have it off completely, earlier today i turned it on for half an hour and Android OS ate 12MB of data, in half an hour?!
I have no syncs on, auto-update is off, nothing has auto refresh, what on earth is going on?
I've rang samsung, they said it's not the phone contact your network provider, i rang them (vodafone) and they said it's the phone?!
I took it into several phone shops and they said call samsung/vodafone and NO ONE KNOWS WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON?!

Upvote 0
Just found an app called My Data Manager it is free and monitors each app's data usage. If you have not already cleared the phone, install it and see what app is using the data

I seem to be having a similar problem, although it cant be email or an app as i havent installed any!
I've had my phone 4-5 months and NEVER had data usage problems, ive barely scratched 200mb a month with my data always on, now i have it off completely, earlier today i turned it on for half an hour and Android OS ate 12MB of data, in half an hour?!
I have no syncs on, auto-update is off, nothing has auto refresh, what on earth is going on?
I've rang samsung, they said it's not the phone contact your network provider, i rang them (vodafone) and they said it's the phone?!
I took it into several phone shops and they said call samsung/vodafone and NO ONE KNOWS WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON?!

Install the app I mention above, let it run for 2 days and you can see exactly what app is using what Data. Now that I am on the 10GB shared data plan, I watch data like a hawk on all 3 phones. Plus My Data Manager lets you set alarms that can kill data if your daily and/or monthly data reaches a set limit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones