1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General AT&T SHG-I777 Discontinued?!??? Galaxy S II

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aylonewolf69, Nov 6, 2011.

1. aylonewolf69

aylonewolf69 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    :eek:Spoke with *UPPITY* sales clerk behind the AT&T corporate store in the Suburbs of NYC (Long Island, Hicksville) and was told the following:
    "What happened to the Galaxy S II, I don't see it on the sales floor anymore?"
    "Sorry it's been replaced by the newer, Skyrocket..."
    "Didn't the Galaxy S II just get released a few weeks back @ $199 on October 2nd...?"
    "Yes, it's obsolete now because the Skyrocket replaces it @ $149 so it's discontinued..."
    I couldn't talk, I couldn't stand the way she just stared at me w/ a cavalier, uncaring look on her face when I exclaimed my displeasure that my brand new Galaxy S II was *DISCONTINUED*...
    "Blah blah blah ... I'll be happy to refund the phone for you minus the $35 restocking fee...blah blah blah"
    I'm upset at her ATTITUDE she showed, not at the Samsung Galaxy SII.. The Skyrocket is BIGGER, LAGGY and slightly FUZZIER display when compared to my S II SGH-I777 due to the 4.5 SUPERAMOLED screen. No FM radio BUT it does have Visual Voicemail as a built in app...
    I ***GLAD*** I picked up my SHG-I777 when I did otherwise, it would be too late. Hopefully this salesclerk is off her rocker when she suggests that the SGH-I777 has been discontinued for any FENCE SITTERS out there... ??!??? :(
    My personal TAKE on WHY AT&T dropped the SGH-I777 are two:
    1. it's because they don't want to take heat for the HPSA+ vs. 4G (LTE) radio that wasn't on the SGH-I777. Also :D I played with it on display and I *LOVE* my SLIM S II vs. the Skyrocket
    2. Confusion on Joe and Jane public walking into the store, "Look honey, there's the new galaxy Sii for $199 no it's over here called the Skyrocket and it's $50 CHEAPER at $149..." (No TYPO, that's $149.00...)
    BTW - I also saw the OTHER LTE phone the HTC (Sorry don't remember the Model # exactly) BUT it does have an ON BOARD FM tuner and HD screen very VERY sharp gives the iphone a better run for the money and I *think* it might be a slightly better display than the SGH-I777
    Whew what a mouthful! At any rate, still LOVING and ROCKIN' my SGH-I777 don't have any regrets or buyer's remorse... Hopefully this will be a helpful read for one or two people out there...

Advertisement

SGS2 likes this.
  2. NJR

NJR Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    Not discontinued at all. In certain markets in the country, Some HSPA+ devices are being replaced by LTE devices in the stores. The SII, and others are still available via web and at places like Bes Buy etc.

----
    I am an AT&T emloyee and my views are my own and do not necessarily reflcet AT&T's Opinons or Strategies.

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    Skyrocketing should of had been the at&t version of GS2 minus the snapdragon. Plain & simple.

4. SGS2

SGS2 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    international diplomat, cia spy
    top secret, undisclosed location
    at the at&t corporate store on beverly blvd. in los angeles, (in person), they told me 3 weeks ago they would NOT even be displaying the galaxy s2, and it was being sold online only for at&t.

so, i bought my s2 online.

i have not visited since then, so i do not know if the s2 ever made it to be on display at the corporate store.

5. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    LTE! That is the buzz word for the 2011 holiday season. Verizon has been boasting on tv and through paper media about there 4G/LTE network creating a buzz with the average consumer. When people go out shopping for devices this season LTE will be on there mind. When the step up to a display and see Samsung Galaxy S II and Smasung Galaxy s II Skyrocket w/ LTE which one do you think they will choose? Us causal and hardcore nuts know the difference, but the average consumer, who out numbers us by far, will see only see LTE.

The way I look at it is there will be a lot less people on the 3G/H+ network, freeing it up for me to cruise along.

Also, The SGS II Skyrocket will get ICS before us, if we get ICS at all.

6. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    The issue with that is, they will be giving Skyrocket is a tiny fraction of SGSII users.

I find it hard to believe the 15-20million users of the SGSII will be shunned for the Skyrocket.