• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T "subtlety" punches back

I think the idea of surfing and talking a little silly, but i'm sure someone wants to do it..

However, the best part is now apple is fighting back.. Makes apple look like something is really deficient with either their phone or their carrier.. I mean, if VZ hadn't been telling the truth, why would both ATT and Apple reply.. hehe

-=< aaron >=-

Upvote 0
AT&T's response to the "there's a map for that" commercial also makes me laugh. I feel bad for all the AT&T customers who are forced to use a first generation data network in about 75% of the country while I get to use 3G just about anywhere. :D

My daughter has it and she's fine. She doesn't travel much. The one time she was out of town she was in a large metropolitan area which was good because we had a family emergency and being able to contact her was PRIMARY! For me, I travel all over and want to be in contact everywhere I go. I didn't have that with Sprint. I'm hoping that I do have that with Verizon.

Upvote 0
See, I didn't see the commercial, my wife did and from the way she explained it, I thought they were saying you couldn't answer a call while browsing the web, which I pointed out was ********.

When I realized what they were really saying I was like....So?!

How often does that come up? I can honestly say I have never wished for that ability.

But it is funny that this is their response........since technically you can't be on the Internet PERIOD on their network in most of the country. Kinda makes it moot. :p

Upvote 0
Seems like a quick way to kill a battery to me....OMG!! i'll have to wait to get off of the phone to get online. Big Deal, I can't see how this would be a dealbreaker for anyone. Nowhere near as important as the map ad VZW had. Whether it was true or not, I'm sure these ads made a bigger impact in consumers minds than Apples and ATTs. I mean really, who wants to have to think about if they'll have coverage where they go. At the end of the day, thats whats important.

Maybe its just me, but I text a lot and u can text and surf no prob. BTW, wifi and phone calls mix as well...

Upvote 0
I say you'll waste more minutes if you surf the net from the phone while on a call. :p I'd get more use out of rollover minutes truthfully. I can see where it could come in handy, but most situations just aren't worth wasting minutes. If a person can't wait for me to end the call, who wants to have lunch with him anyway.

Sincerely,

A loyal Verizon customer

Upvote 0
that's really a stretch right there. in order to look at the phone to browse and whatnot, i have to take it away from my ear, meaning unless i put it on speakerphone or bluetooth, i cant hear anything.

if i'm connected via bluetooth, that means the phone is in my holster or i'm driving. i have no need or desire to browse the web. so basically the only time this becomes a factor is when i've got someone on speakerphone.

i'll still take my ability to multitask over this very situational dilemma. Never once in my life have I ever been on a call with someone and said "damn, I wish I could use my data without having to hang up." it's more like "i'll look up the directions and send them to you." chances of any iphone user actually using this feature is slim, and when it does happen it'll be just because they can, not because they need to.

Upvote 0
I'd have to say the new ads from AT&T are a stroke of genius.

Verizon: "We have more 3G coverage, a better network, and finally a smartphone that can compete with smartphones on other networks."

AT&T: "We have iPhones, Luke Wilson, and rollover minutes that have zero value and expire at the end of the year! Buy a higher priced plan with more minutes and SAVE!!!"

Smart consumer: "You are paying a carrier for their network coverage... right?"

Stupid consumer: "iPhone and Luke Wilson!!!!! Rollover minutes save money!!! Yay!!!"

Since stupid consumers > smart consumers, AT&T has clearly concocted a winning strategy.

Upvote 0
iPhone doesn't need to have simultaneous web browsing and call. They drop so many calls you just wait till the call is dropped, get your movie time, then call back and shout it in the 8 seconds before the second call is dropped. No big deal.

You know the feature you're touting is not a big deal when I didn't even realize my phone couldn't do it because I have never tried it.

Upvote 0
For me this is not a feature that att nor apple should dedicate a commercial to. For 1 that feature only works while on 3G....VZW map for that ad demonstraits that they don't have a whole lot of that. Second, droid has wifi...in all the places that I may want to use this feature wifi is avalible ie.....my home, work, coffee shops. Third, most likley if your in business and on the go a lot you will have a mobile broadband card (for instance I have a mifi) so even if I am not at home or work I always have wifi with me. My point is other phones can do the same thing. So it is nothing special.

Also the fact that they highlighted being able to check your email while on the phone really makes me laugh. With push email if you send me a email and then call me to ask if I got it. Most likley I got it before you dialed my number because it comes so fast. So yes I can go in and check my email while on the phone.

Now my question to iPhone users would be can you stream pandora or slacker while browsing the web, check your email and respond to it, check twitter go back to the page on the web...do any number of or combonation of things at once with all those apps you have? The answer is no! You can't. Guess what "Droid Does!"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones