1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [AT&T] Sudden inexplicable battery drain and switch-off

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by QueenMabel, Jan 2, 2014.

1. QueenMabel

QueenMabel Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    I installed Cyanogenmod 10.2 on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 a few days ago. Twice now I've had my phone suddenly switch off, and when I turn it back on, the battery history shows an instantaneous drop of 30% or so at the point where it switched off. And I mean literally instantaneous. (I can't post screenshots as a new user, but will do so as soon as I get the rights to.) No particular app is showing up as abnormal. Anyone else had something similar happen?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Sounds like a dendrite in one cell. That's a short that grows (like a crystal), punches through the membrane, shorts the battery and gets broken by the current. But it drops the battery voltage enough to turn the phone off.

It's a warranty issue (there was dirt in the clean room when the cell was being manufactured, so it's definitely a manufacturing defect), but a) try to convince the phone manufacturer, unless you happen to be in the Lithium Ion battery business (as a design engineer) and b) good replacement batteries on Amazon are cheaper than waiting on hold for 5 minutes with "customer disservice". If you deal with a really great shop, they might replace the battery for you, though - it depends on their relationship with their distributor.

(There's no way to "repair" it unless you have a clean room, because the air in your room is a lot dirtier than what got into the cell.)

coconutthepit likes this.