1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [AT&T] To root or not to root, that is the question..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Eldarwen, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Eldarwen

Eldarwen Lurker
    None

Jan 23, 2013
    Right, I'm a complete noob at modding anything software and therefor also terrified to make an error.

I love my phone (Galaxy S3 using android 4.0.4) but I hate some of the useless apps that I can't uninstall from my phone because the manufacturer decided they want it on there. What I also hate is that I can't move apps and pics etc to SD so my phone is stuffed to the limit but my sd card is picking it's nose. And I don't know whether rooting my device will help me fix these things and maybe (since I heard about jailbreaking providing more free apps which otherwise would have required payment) also expand my app world.

Does rooting really change the complete look of your phone? is it easy to undo if you're not happy with it? Will regular apps from google play be affected (I'm a Sims addict, shame on me hahaha)? What do you have to back-up? and will my phone stop bugging me whenever I try to dock it to my laptop (mtp sync crash)? And are the instructions you find on the internet universal or just for the USA (I live in The Netherlands and have a Dutch phone with Vodafone)

I know that's a lot of questions. But I'm ready to fix my phone since I now have the inssuficient data notice popping up every day no matter how much I uninstall.

Thank you for your time

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven I didn't know there were cacti in Aruba.

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    A lot of questions here. I'll do my best to answer the ones I can.:)
    All of us were noobs when we started, no worries there.:D

You should be able to go to Settings | Apps | Crappy Carrier Bloatware App and choose disable. You don't even need root for this. Outside of the storage the app takes, this is the same as removing it (you won't see it in your app drawer or in the widget list).

If the app supports it, you should be able to do that from the same place above. There should be a button to "Move to SD Card"

Yes but it is a bad idea unless you want all kinds of creepy crawlies in your phone. There are places to get free apps legally like GetJar and these are OK. Anyplace offering paid apps for free has probably loaded them up with malware. Also, it is against the Site Rules here to discuss app piracy. If you have a question about any of these sites, just ask. Any mod and even most members will let you know if a site is legit or not.;)

Honestly, rooting doesn't change the look and feel at all. It allows you greater control over your device and the applications you can run. As far as backups, I would take care of your pics and messages before you root. Once rooted, you would be able to make what are called nandroid backups, which are complete snapshots of your phone.

So, all that out of the way, welcome to Android Forums.:)

D-U-R-X likes this.
  3. dirtbikerr450

dirtbikerr450 Member
    None

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    USA
    Root it