1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[AT&T] Trying to get AT&T KitKat update on Note 3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stantheman1976, Jul 20, 2014.

1. stantheman1976

I'm on AT&T in the Southern US and upgraded to a Note 3 yesterday. It still has 4.3 with a kernel from October 2013.

I decided to root it last night, which I had done to my previous S3. I then tried to run the software update in the general settings and it fails at around 25% after reboot. I assumed because I rooted and removed some apps it was failing. So I decided to do a full reset through the settings menu. I did that and tried the update again with the same results. I then tried a factory reset using the volume up+home+power method and wiped the phone and cache. When I reboot it still shows a lock on the screen and software update still fails at about 25%.

So bearing all this in mind if I wait will my device eventually update to 4.4? Can I download it and install manually? If I take it back to the store and ask them to update will they know it was rooted at some point? Can they even do the update?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Hiya stantheman!
    I moved your thread to the Note 3 ATT root forum here so others can help.;)

I'm not too terribly familiar with your device, but I'm a little confused...if you wanted the update, why did you root it? :thinking:

If you want the OTA update you may have to unroot it.

What method did you use to root it?

3. stantheman1976

I used Towelroot to root it. Right now it has been completely reset though. I did what I think is called the hard reset, volume up+home+power buttons and factory reset and wipe cache. So there should be no remnants of anything from before.

4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Wiping the cache's in recovery (the 3 button combo you did;) ) does not un-root you...you are still rooted.
    Not sure why the OTA failed though...I would have thought taking the OTA while rooted would unroot.
    You still have the stock recovery, stock rom and stock kernel correct?

5. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

This is what I did, it basically has you install a rooted version of the KK update. If you read the guides and make sure you have everything ready it isn't too hard. :D

Mikestony likes this.
  6. stantheman1976

In recovery mode I did the factory reset and wipe cache also. So that should have taken it back completely to factory settings, correct? It definitely seemed to wipe anything that was there.

agentc13, does the guide you linked create a scenario where you must choose which rom to boot each startup, or does it load straight into 4.4?

7. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

When I reboot my phone there is a second splash screen where you choose to boot into recovery (safestrap) or continue (to the ROM). After 10 seconds it will continue to boot into the ROM by default unless you select otherwise.

I've since added xposed framework and some modules as well as deleting a bunch of unnecessary stuff that is on there by default, but it's a good starting point IMO.

8. stantheman1976

Well I tried following that guide and Safestrap will not work. I rooted and granted permission to it. It will say install and open and when I install recovery it says successful but never starts and never allows the recovery reboot. Any ideas?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3200mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews