• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Unrooting Galaxy S4?

Aim006

May 8, 2013
US
I am kind of new to Android and rooting, so I need a little help here. So I have a Galaxy S4 and I want to root it. But if I want to install an software update, will I lose the root? I looked it up a lot and I heard that it will probably lose the root, but you will be able to re-root it. My question is that if you install a software update and re-root, will you get all of your root-required apps back? I also heard that unrooting makes you lose all of your data, so I'm wondering if installing a software update will make you lose all your data as well. I'm really confused. And also if you do lose your data or don't get the root apps back, will Titanium Backup let you restore all of your apps after you update? I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me a little here. Thanks!

Reactions: burritosaurus
I am kind of new to Android
Welcome!

So I have a Galaxy S4 and I want to root it. But if I want to install an software update, will I lose the root? I looked it up a lot and I heard that it will probably lose the root, but you will be able to re-root it.
Software update - I assume you mean an OTA update from Samsung/carrier (not individual apps that you downloaded/installed from the play store). If so, yes, it is possible that you will lose root. It is also possible that you may not be able to reroot (if the root exploit gets patched). To be safe, don't accept OTA updates from manufacturer/carrier if you want to keep your root. Wait for developers to update their ROMs and use those instead.

My question is that if you install a software update and re-root, will you get all of your root-required apps back?
You can get those back ("How" depends on whether you got them from play store or side loaded - but regardless, you can just download/sideload it again if needed. <-- I say "if needed" because an update typically should not wipe out your data.

I also heard that unrooting makes you lose all of your data, so I'm wondering if installing a software update will make you lose all your data as well. I'm really confused.
See my previous response. Also, if you are rooted, it is recommended that you do NOT take any manufacturer OTA updates.

And also if you do lose your data or don't get the root apps back, will Titanium Backup let you restore all of your apps after you update?
Yes, Titanium backup will let you restore all your apps and data. You can always restore your user apps. Be cautious about restoring system apps or system app data after an OS upgrade though - that could cause issues.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones