• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] upgrading to 1.85 firmware

veeshmack

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
Recently purchased a HTC One X unlocked (originally AT&T). currently waiting for it to come in, the seller sent me this message in regards to upgrading firmware.
thoughts on whether I can/should upgrade or not?

In the box, I have a warning not to update to the new firmware (1.85), as they have blocked the root access of the phone.
I put that the bootloader unlock (type of unlock used) would not be effected by this, but someone has told me differently recently. So I would say if you update it, do it at your own risk. Research first, maybe ask on an android forum or something first.

sorry if I posted in the wrong area.

Welcome to AF! :) No biggie, it's no issue to move a thread

I'm not too considered with the rooting of it as I don't see myself doing anything with that capability. So if I update it wont bugger up the phone right? And it'll still hold its unlocked status?

AFAIK, you can still accept OTA updates with an unlocked bootloader. However, as the bootloader unlock method for the AT&T One XL involves messing about with hboot, I'd be careful.

I'll have a look around, see if I can find any info for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones