• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T user going to switch...

Hi,

Few questions about the EVO:

• If I pre-order at BB, can they hold the phone for a week or so? I'm going to be out-of-town for about a week after the launch. I don't want to wait until I get back, since they will likely be sold out.
  • 1 Year contract possible for a higher up-front charge? I was looking at the HTC Incredible, and I like that I can pay $70 more for a 1 yr contract. If Sprint's network leaves something to be desired, I'm concerned about a 2 yr contract. I'd also like to get device upgrades each year...a 2 yr old smartphone these days is not fun to have.

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. I'm switching from an iPhone 3G, and I'm figuring out what's the best way to hop on Sprint contract-wise (as opposed to sexual-wise). I read somewhere that the ETF was max $200 and decreased through the life of the contract; so, with the option of a new contract I don't see any reason to buy it off-contract. Worst-case scenario, a year later, we can pay $100 and say "SEE YA"! That's essentially like the phone is $300 off-contract except we get to keep our money longer.

Can someone with some knowledge verify for me?

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. I'm switching from an iPhone 3G, and I'm figuring out what's the best way to hop on Sprint contract-wise (as opposed to sexual-wise). I read somewhere that the ETF was max $200 and decreased through the life of the contract; so, with the option of a new contract I don't see any reason to buy it off-contract. Worst-case scenario, a year later, we can pay $100 and say "SEE YA"! That's essentially like the phone is $300 off-contract except we get to keep our money longer.

Interesting. There's also the Sprint Premier which looks like you can upgrade a new phone each year. I'm an android developer, so that will help over the next few years to build up a small collection of android devices to do testing with.

Upvote 0
Ooops! :p

Not sure if you can, best you can do is call your nearest store. What I did, go to google maps, put i searched for best buy. Then click more details, it should have the store's phone number. I called before I went to make sure they're taking pre-orders already and/or if they will hold the phone for you for a week.

I'm thinking of two more options, but I'm not sure if is even feasible.

1st option would be to order online at Sprint or Best Buy and have it delivered to a relative or friend. That way you can just pick it up when you come back.

2nd option would be to buy the phone at Best Buy Online store and arrange for a store pick-up. Since you have already paid for the phone, best buy should have the phone for you.

Again, I'm not even sure if this is possible. My guess is that you won't be able to get it online for a few days (even a few weeks) since the demand will be a lot in the beginning days. :)

Upvote 0

JE UNC - I called AT&T last month and got my ETF fee quoted - my contract ends June 1, so I would owe $0 in ETF fees, but the ETF fee is prorated over the usage of the 2 year contract - so basically $300/24=$12.50 per month. How many months you have left on your contract say 12X12.50=150 etc.

Upvote 0
JE UNC - I called AT&T last month and got my ETF fee quoted - my contract ends June 1, so I would owe $0 in ETF fees, but the ETF fee is prorated over the usage of the 2 year contract - so basically $300/24=$12.50 per month. How many months you have left on your contract say 12X12.50=150 etc.

I should have been more clear. My contract with ATT is up. I was speaking of the ETF that I would have for a Sprint 2-year agreement after 1 year of using the EVO if I sign up for a 2-year contract now.

I really don't like the idea of signing a new 2-year contract, but I think it's the best way to make the jump from ATT to Sprint. At the end of year one with Sprint, I should have the option of upgrade-pricing for a new phone (b/c of Sprint Premier) or paying around ~$100 in ETF to switch carriers. If I only pay $200 for the EVO upfront, the extra $100 to break contract after a year is basically like buying the EVO for $300 now, off-contract.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify on the Premier status: You're eligible if you're using it on a 69.99 dollar plan, but the beautiful thing is that is BEFORE corporate discounts and the like. So if you sign up for the 69.99 plan and get a 25% corporate discount, then you'd have both a payment of only $52 per month in addition to being a Premier customer.

It's a pretty sweet deal. Getting a new phone every year is almost too fast!

Reactions: je_unc
Upvote 0
Just to clarify on the Premier status: You're eligible if you're using it on a 69.99 dollar plan, but the beautiful thing is that is BEFORE corporate discounts and the like. So if you sign up for the 69.99 plan and get a 25% corporate discount, then you'd have both a payment of only $52 per month in addition to being a Premier customer.

It's a pretty sweet deal. Getting a new phone every year is almost too fast!

I don't qualify for a 25% corporate discount (unless there's some secret that I don't know about...) but I will qualify for 15% for students:
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/77798-you-student-want-evo-15-off-credit-every-month.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones