1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

AT&T vs. Verizon Dilema

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Randizzledante, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Randizzledante

Hey everybody, I'm a newbie here on the forums, and I find myself in a bit of a pickle.

So I bought an iPhone 3G (on AT&T obviously) when they first came out. As such, I also got the unlimited data plan. Fast forward to nowadays, I have an iPhone 4, and was grandfathered into the unlimited data after they switched to tiered plans.

For a while now, though, I've wanted to switch to Verizon. Most of my friends use it, and their coverage is generally better in my area (as well as in family places that I visit). So today, I went and grabbed a Droid Bionic at Costco (for the awesome deal they had) and am now hooked up with a 2GB data plan.

After review of some AT&T stats, I've never even come close to using 2GB of data in one month, but not having the unlimited option available is already starting to make me uneasy. I absolutely LOVE the Bionic, and am not missing my iPhone at all. My only nagging concern is that at some point in the future, I am going to deeply regret losing my unlimited data (and hell, maybe even switching - the GSII is sounding better and better). It seems android + 4G is going to be making me use my phone's internet quite a bit more.

I have 14 days to take everything back, cancel my new account, etc etc. What would you all?

TL;DR - AT&T w/ unlimited data, or Verizon w/ 2GB plan

Advertisement

2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert

These phone companies are robbing us blind, giving us phones with faster connections that will allow us to use more data and then restricting the data plans. I am glad you court onto the scam. I am not really sure what you should do, but the lack of unlimited plans is keeping me put.

3. Dcastnick

Dcastnick Newbie

Honestly, I believe you gave yourself the answer already. You said youve never come close to using 2 gb. Honestly, who has! Thats not to say who dosent download plenty of apps or stream plenty of movies, internet, ect. But who does all that without coming across a wifi spot at some point in the month!? With wifi becoming as ubiquitous as mcdonalds, and apps like wardrive or wigle that help you find open access points, who the hell downloads all their data over the 3g or 4g networks nowdays?

Case and point ive downloaded well over 2gb this month on my 2gb tiered plan. However my verizon data usage stands at 0.003 gb! LOL because I use the wifi in my home and local open wifi networks in the neighborhood or shopping areas.

Trust me I understand the anxiety of knowing theres a limit on your data usage. But all fear aside, youll rarely if ever cross the 2gb mark, let alone the 5gb mark. And the 10gb mark!? Who the hell go through that much data on a phone in one month!? And if its security on wifi networks that worries you, well, let me be cliche and say, theres an app for that.

4. Randizzledante

Very true. The three places I'm at 90% of the time are home, school, and work, all of which have Wifi, so the 2GB limit probably won't be an issue. Not to mention 4G is coming to where I live in less than a week, as opposed to AT&T, who has no clue when it's going to get here.

Although I have to admit, after lots of playing around with the Bionic (which I do truly love so far) I have noticed call quality is not as good as my iPhone's was. I don't know if this is because of the phone, or Verizon's network. I'll test it out a little more and see what happens.

5. Eaglesfan9106

Eaglesfan9106 Android Enthusiast

Just chillax use WiFi whenever possible and enjoy one of the best phones out