1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

At the risk of hijacking a previous thread: Is Android for me too?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by stevebr58, Feb 17, 2011.

1. stevebr58

stevebr58 Lurker
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    I've been reading the thread started by Spacekungfuman titled, "Is Android for me?" and decided that I could use similar guidance in the selection of my next phone.

My current phone is running Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro (I know, a dinosaur) and has a less than 2-inch square screen. I guess the second question here would be "Is Windows Phone for me?"

1. I like the idea of having a mini-computer in my pocket and not just a telephone.
    2. I will post to Facebook with it occasionally, including pictures. Twitter, maybe.
    3. I want to be able to text comfortably and (relatively) quickly.
    4. I have an iPod Touch that I use mostly for podcasts, so I won't need a phone/mp3 player. I guess I'm neutral on this with a new phone.
    5. I almost never play games on the iPod, so I'm not really interested to do so on a phone. Maybe something simple (like Solitaire) to pass the time in a queue.
    6. I think I will be customizing the appearance of the homepage but not much more than that.
    7. My family is currently on AT&T and we have almost no complaints. I'm very reluctant to change carriers.
    8. I would like to be able to receive email on my phone, but if I can't, it won't be a deal-breaker.
    9. I will assume that the number of apps for Android will someday catch up with the number of apps available for iPhone. Well, maybe not "catch up," but certainly will be many more available as the platform's popularity increases.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Advertisement

2. gruss

gruss Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    IT
    Toledoish
    From your needs it sounds like either will do just fine, I guess my suggestion would be to play with a few and see which one you prefer. Nothing your asking for is earth shattering, android will have more apps than wp7, iphone has more apps than android....doesnt really matter if the apps you need/want are already available.

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago
    As a former WinMo user, I can easily say the new WP7 isn't really a replacement for legacy WinMo users. It's closer to an iPhone than a WinMo phone.

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    There's nothing in your list that Android isn't capable of. What's really left to determine is your personal preferences for Android, UI's and specific devices. Something to consider on the latter point is that what is "comfortable" texting for one may not be for the next.

5. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Everything I've not quoted can be handled well with Android. Do you prefer physical keyboards or pure slab touchscreens?

To me, this is your biggest consideration, since your decision has financial implications. You should evaluate your needs against AT&T's Android offerings. The Motorola Atrix is coming to AT&T Monday. From what I've seen in video reviews, it's a powerhouse phone. Makes the iPhone look like a toy. Still, do you need what it offers? Personally, I wouldn't utilize any of its docking features. But even without that, it still represents the next-gen Android smartphone.

What people need to understand is that both App markets have reached critical mass; that means for the most common needs, both app stores have quality apps. No one is going to download more than 1% of all the apps on the store. The majority of apps in both stores are fluff and get poor reviews. Actually, what you posted in #9 is what someone could legitimately say last summer. In reality, if you check out the current Android market, it's rare to not be able to find a quality app to do what you want to do. And with Android, that quality app will almost likely be cheaper (if not free) than the Apple counterpart.

Android's popularity has increased, and developers can no longer use fragmentation as an excuse not to develop for Android. They'd be missing out on an ever growing, huge user base. The old arguments are no longer applying.

6. mdram

mdram Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Engineer
    Maryland
    i came from a winmo 6.1 also, samsung omnia. i found android to be very similar, but i was running spb mobile shell. the learning curve was not steep.

7. stevebr58

stevebr58 Lurker
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    My current phone (Samsung Epix) has a separate keyboard which I kind of like, but I think I could get used to a touchscreen fairly easily.

I'm thinking seriously about getting an Atrix, primarily because of some of the specs I've read about. Also, I can upgrade for $99.99 (extending my contract another 2 years, of course). I don't like the idea of paying the extra monthly fee to use the Laptop Dock, so I wouldn't buy one (until there is a way to get around the extra $) but I am interested in the Multimedia Dock. That brings me to another question - Could the phone/MM dock be used to access Netfix, etc?

I have found that the interface is too much of a pain to use. The only "extra" use I get out of my phone is to play Solitaire when I want to kill a little time - that and to text back-and-forth with my daughters. I'm also tired of getting a headache trying to read on the tiny screen.