• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix 4G w/ laptop kit *USER REVIEW*

Good news received the phone today!!!

Left the house early this morning, just finished working tonight.. ready to record some video and do some reviewer type things..

1 bar on the ATRIX.. No connection..

/le sigh

Updating my laptop with SDK for some screenshots of benchmark tests..

Didn't find any text that you were looking for in the file that you told me to look in.. nothing close.. Send you a PM

I will take video at the stores tomorrow compare it to all other AT&T Phones..

EDIT: On my way home stopped by Bestbuy & a local electronics store.. Nobody had in stock a microHDMI cord.. Odd..

I will be doing a video on the Media Docking station tomorrow night with a huge TV. Let's hope it at least gets a signal in there..... =/

Are you able to power the phone off and look at the SIM card? My brother confirmed there are new 4g SIM cards and I'm curious if one is in your Atrix. The only identifier is it will be a different color, but it doesn't say 4g anywhere on it. Thanks!!!!

Upvote 0
Getaphixx, can you see if you can get the webtop mode to work if you just use the hdmi cable. People have pointed out from some sample videos that they didn't see 'webtop mode' selection with hdmi cable but there was an option with the dock. None of the reviews/previews really mentioned it though that I've read.
Yes using just the HDMI cable gives you the option to go into WebTop mode..

Can you check the sunlight legibility of the Atrix.

Endgadget's review:
This is kind of annoying since LCD should have a better daylight legibility than the AMOLED (no SAMOLED). So I'm kind of confused with that statement. See how well legibility is with 100% brightness, 50% brightness and 0% brightness. Also, if possible, can you compare it with another Android phone with LCD if you have.
I don't see how they could give a negative review of the display. It out preformed all but Samsung phone when I tested them in direct sunlight.

I would assume that most if not all smartphones produced don't have the same problems that plagued early phones and their displays. But it seems reviewers are plagued by nonesense as even the worst phone of the bunch was still readable in sunlight.

Reactions: sjael and Roze
Upvote 0
Hey Getaphixx, I would really like to see some videos of you doing the typical things on the phone and see how fast it is. Just flipping through screens, resizing web pages, and resizing images. Some other videos I have seen show the Atrix stuttering when doing these tasks, but I'm hoping what I have seen isn't indicative of what I should always expect from the device.

Upvote 0
If you have the hardware available, I would love to know if the phone itself has USB Host functionality, or if that is limited to the docks/Webtop OS.

Would also like to know if the Atrix supports HDMI mirroring - I've heard that selecting 'Do Nothing' from the popup menu will start mirroring the phone, but I've also heard that there is no mirroring at all.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
So here's another thing you could test that could give us a little insight into whether the rumor about disabling HSUPA is true or not.

First you'll need a file manager (I like Astro)
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro

Then you need to browse to the directory /system where you should find the build.prop file (it may show as just build in Astro, as shown below)
2qn75ux.png

Once you find that file you'll need to long press it and "open as" a text file, pick whatever text editor you want. What you're looking for is "ro.ril.hsxpa=" as shown in the picture below:
2m6tzqq.png

the number next to that value determines the connectivity:
ro.ril.hsxpa=0 is UMTS only (not likely)
ro.ril.hsxpa=1 is HSDPA only (this would mean HSUPA is disabled)
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 is HSDPA/HSUPA (both are enabled)

Thanks!
I don't have a ro.ril.hsxpa= line at all on my captivate

here is what I have:
# begin build properties # autogenerated by buildinfo.sh ro.build.id=ECLAIR ro.build.display.id=ECLAIR ro.build.version.incremental=UCJH7 ro.build.version.sdk=7 ro.build.version.codename=REL ro.build.version.release=2.1-update1 ro.build.date=2010. 08. 27. (

Upvote 0
Hey Getaphixx, can you please tell us if the phone has an actual 3G SIM card? or one with 4G ? Did you run any speed tests ? Thanks a lot (Awesome videos btw)

No.. yesterday before I was mysteriously throttled back.. I was pulling 6Mbps d/l speed at the AT&T store on the cellular network. I can no longer get those speeds for some reason..

Yes there is only the 3G SIM in the phone.. I was told those wishing to upgrade to the ATRIX won't need a new SIM they'll be able to use their existing one by an employee there.

Reactions: zizo79
Upvote 0
No.. yesterday before I was mysteriously throttled back.. I was pulling 6Mbps d/l speed at the AT&T store on the cellular network. I can no longer get those speeds for some reason..

Yes there is only the 3G SIM in the phone.. I was told those wishing to upgrade to the ATRIX won't need a new SIM they'll be able to use their existing one by an employee there.

hmmm... You saw 6mbps down? On which app? keep testing, a screenshot of anything close to that would be most encouraging...

Upvote 0
hmmm... You saw 6mbps down? On which app? keep testing, a screenshot of anything close to that would be most encouraging...

Yes, in fact we had the hotspot turned on and while someone was streaming HD video on youtube through the webtop we did a speed test on his connected laptop and got 1.5mbps.. ((EDIT: The app was SPEEDTEST.NET's app)

Like I said.. I went back to the store today with vidCamera in hand and a little more relaxed, as I wasn't "working" like the day before or on the clock...

And since yesterday at noon I haven't been able to
1. Get online using the webtop application while docked. (Now a pretty pre configured screen shows up in Firefox that wasn't there before, saying imagine fast interwebz showing up on this screen!)
2. Pull anywhere near the 5-6Mbps I was pulling 24hrs ago..

They have done something to my test phone is all I can say man..

After work yesterday I went into Bestbuy vidCamera in hand and was going to do a review of the webtop and stuff like google docs and talk about cloud computing, etc..

But after testing out media docks and laptop docks all day and it working, at BestBuy it no longer worked.

And hasn't since then..

Upvote 0
Yes, in fact we had the hotspot turned on and while someone was streaming HD video on youtube through the webtop we did a speed test on his connected laptop and got 1.5mbps.. ((EDIT: The app was SPEEDTEST.NET's app)

Like I said.. I went back to the store today with vidCamera in hand and a little more relaxed, as I wasn't "working" like the day before or on the clock...

And since yesterday at noon I haven't been able to
1. Get online using the webtop application while docked. (Now a pretty pre configured screen shows up in Firefox that wasn't there before, saying imagine fast interwebz showing up on this screen!)
2. Pull anywhere near the 5-6Mbps I was pulling 24hrs ago..

They have done something to my test phone is all I can say man..

After work yesterday I went into Bestbuy vidCamera in hand and was going to do a review of the webtop and stuff like google docs and talk about cloud computing, etc..

But after testing out media docks and laptop docks all day and it working, at BestBuy it no longer worked.

And hasn't since then..

That just sounds odd and buggy...

Upvote 0
*#*#4636#*#*

And mucked around in there for a bit..

I'm now able to once again dock with the media hub..

Pulled this just now with 2 bars.. Packing up camera and phone and heading to ATT store to attempt to get video of 6mbps d/l

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1163285816.png

The download speed is nice but that upload and latency is still shockingly bad, something needs to be done with that!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones