1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Atrix 5MP Camera vs........ (56k=death)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dsjr2006, Feb 23, 2011.

1. DT

DT Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Owner, Senior Software Architect, V2N
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Terrific post! We do a good bit of photography, from casual beach days, to motorsports and it's amazing the difference a tiny little bit of tweaking to the OOTB settings makes. Currently shooting with Nikon equipment.

I don't see any extended settings on the Atrix camera, but that could be resolved by software. I'll head outside and shoot a couple of pics right now for some additional reference, maybe a couple indoor with ambient, then with the flash.

Advertisement

litildubey likes this.
  2. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2009
    Michigan
    I agree that it could likely be fixed with settings, but there aren't any to change. Just scene modes, flash, and effects. We can only judge the phone based on what it can currently do unfortunately.

3. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Where would one find a way to change the White Balance settings on the Atrix camera?

4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    NYU Student & Real Estate Agent
    Manhattan, NY
    I'm very disappointed with the results of the 5MP camera. It seems like Motorola took a step backwards with this as compared to the 8MP X camera. The iPhone 4's camera is still hands down the one to beat.

5. newwales

newwales Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    cleanermonkey likes this.
  6. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    NYU Student & Real Estate Agent
    Manhattan, NY
    Seems like there's an issue with saturation. If the iPhone 4 pic is closer to reality, then how odd that the camera on the Atrix 4G changes the flower color.

7. barry99705

barry99705 Android Expert
    None

8. DT

DT Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Excellent comparison. Interesting, I thought the right one was the Atrix (before I realized the EXIF data was on the right). It has the most loss of details in the foreground, but the best DOF (for the pens in the background).

The Atrix (left) shot, has some subtle gradients on the shadows on the blue fellow that are really good, some noise on the smaller details.

The "reference" shot from the rebel has great color and details like you would expect.

That's one of the best Atrix pictures I've seen. Was that "auto" picture format or the macro setting?

9. redrider67

redrider67 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    I came from an Iphone and thought the Atrix picture taking capability wasn't that great until I messed with the settings, noticed that I had to set it on 5MP it doesn't default to that setting on it's own.

10. newwales

newwales Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Please can you post some more sample pictures & some comparisons with HTC or Motorola. Still unsure whether I will be getting this or not. Cheers.

11. barry99705

barry99705 Android Expert
    None

All cameras were on the auto setting, the rebel was on the auto with no flash setting. I did focus on Klor in all shots.

12. newwales

newwales Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Can you please do a comparison with the flash, cheers.

13. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    There is no adjustment for ISO, white balance, metering mode, face detection, etc? That's just nuts...I wonder if it was Moto or AT&T who did that to the phone...

14. vrsantana

vrsantana Newbie
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    At&t Sales Rep
    Eustis FL
    I took 2 pics outside in daylight with the iphone 4 and with the atrix. As someone said, if you hold down the shutter for a sec, the atrix camera auto focuses. See for yourselves:
    iphone 4[​IMG][/IMG]

Atrix
    [​IMG][/IMG]

IMO, the atrix could be better.

15. newwales

newwales Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    The iphone picture look so real, but the atrix looks ok but looks a bit blurry. Why cant motorola do the same to the camera as Sony ericsson.

If the iphone had widgets I would switch in an instant, there camera is so good.

Sony Ericsson arc/neo would be a good choice but the led notification is on the side & the memory is so so low.:D

16. DT

DT Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Vilano Beach, FL
    I've thought about picking up one of the 3rd party camera apps like Pro Zoom Camera 5X, which has some extended controls.

I was looking at the Camera API, and there are a number of additional settings that can be exposed, just need the right application.

17. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2009
    Michigan
    Most phones should be able to take a good picture in really good light like outdoors, but for me Indoors is more important since I take more pictures with friends at parties or in bars where the light is never great.

18. Czarcat

Czarcat Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager
    I was really disappointed with the camera initially. Then, I learned to take the scene setting off of auto. That seems to help immensely.

Also, there are some tools in the gallery to touch up the pictures. The auto correct adds back some color that is lost by the camera.

19. biil_p

biil_p Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    SW United States
    I am really still quite disappointed with the camera. I agree that taking it off auto helps, but IMO the one-touch optimization does not seem better, just bad in a different way.

Funny thing is that the camera is totally secondary to me. I really only want snapshots, and I am fine with the rest of the phone, but this is so bad I am considering returning it.

I am not trying to achieve the same as the Canon, but I would like something that does not look hideous. Resolution is fine, no cloudiness like others have seen. I am thinking it is software and if I could adjust the settings, e.g., white balance, or find a better camera app, it might work out.

20. Czarcat

Czarcat Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager
    Oh, I agree. There is still a LOT to be desired with the camera. The one touch optimization adds some artificial [red] color but I find that many of my indoor shots are really good just rather stark. The red seems to help.

I really hope that Motorola can update the camera software in the future but it seems usable enough for me.

21. biil_p

biil_p Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    SW United States
    Yeah, I think I am trying to convince myself that it is usable enough, guess I wanted better than that.

Funny thing is I took a picture with the front camera and of course the resolution was not as good, but the colors seemed better. :thinking:

22. DT

DT Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Funny enough, I was thinking about this - and making fish tacos :D - and I snapped a few pics here in the kitchen, kind of low light and they looked pretty good.

I think the low light performance is only OK, and combined with the LED flash, anything more than a few feet away doesn't get much light (I shot some hot sauce within 2 feet and the color was good and the noise was pretty low).

23. CmegaMighty

CmegaMighty Lurker
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Someone needs to make an app like Camera+ for iPhone. Because when I used VIGNETTE on Android, I can touch focus, adjust exposure, etc.

Here's a pic that I took earlier today with it.

In Between Showers | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

24. biil_p

biil_p Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    SW United States
    OK, so I d/l'ed the Vignette Demo and what a difference. It must be the camera app. I took two indoor pictures with flash, adjusting for fluorescent lighting in Vignette (@.3 MP only). Guess which one was with the default camera app. :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/bprenz...?authkey=Gv1sRgCP_3_LyhmvvJSw&feat=directlink

What is crazy is how different the flash is, must have to do with shutter speed, ISO???

25. newwales

newwales Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Can you please post some more photos, against other HTC or motorola phones, not iphones.