1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Atrix is too slow (redux)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Czarcat, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Czarcat

Czarcat Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager
    I see many negative threads related to the Atrix and some aspect that is considered to be slow and therefore the Atrix must not be a capable device declaration.

I think much of this has been pointed out previously but I don't think it's been grouped into a single post. Forgive me if I'm being redundant.

Browser pinch to zoom
    The stock browser is choppy on the pinch to zoom and scrolling.

This is a stock browser issue and to me is resolved by using an alternative browser such as Dolphin HD or Miren. Try them both and see if you like one of them.

Gallery pinch to zoom
    The stock gallery app does not pinch to zoom smoothly.

This, to me, is the most egregious of failures. Since this is a Motorola modified gallery app and is not the stock Android 2.2 app, this must be a Motorola introduced issue. In fact, Motorola should be embarrassed at how poorly this app zooms in and out.

This can be completely resolved by using an alternative gallery app such as QuickPic. This provides a vastly superior way to view pics on the Atrix. The ability to zoom in and out is extremely smooth.

Motoblur UI
    The stock UI is Motoblur aka Molasses Blur.

You can't remove Motoblur from the Atrix. However, you can banish it to the kiddie table in the next room by replacing the default launcher.

I prefer LauncherPro but ADW or others will work just as well. This provides many new features not the least of which is super smooth home screen navigation.

Summary
    My personal opinion is that the complaints are all very valid. However, the beauty of Android is that you can generally change what you don't like for something you do like.

The fact that these replacement apps can provide the experience that the stock Motorola provided apps didn't proves that the Atrix is more than capable. The issue is that Motorola provided a sub-par out of the box experience.

Advertisement

2. sublime313

sublime313 Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    the atrix is blazing fast. people are idiots.

sigtau2001, redrider67 and GrayKode like this.
  3. projekt1

projekt1 Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    I agree 100%.
    They could have included various app's that would have wowed us after promoting it as its new flagship smartphone. Instead we get a bada$$ phone with poor apps etc. Good thing is that it is very capable:).

4. dfreeman

dfreeman Newbie
    None

people are just being over critical, it's understandable though, you pay so much for a device.

5. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Yea it works for the most part, but hey Czar I have a app called SDX stock removal and if I remove Blur services you think the phone will crash?

6. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Bay Area, ca
    not sure what you guys do to your phones but I have never had an ounce of lag nor have I had trouble with pinch to zoom. Maybe I'm lucky...who knows

sigtau2001 and GrayKode like this.
  7. Czarcat

None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager

I don't believe the phone would function correctly (if at all) if you removed too much.

8. Czarcat

None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager

It's not an issue of things not working. The stock apps work. If you just use the Atrix and nothing else, you'd likely be quite pleased.

By comparison, though, certain things are not as smooth as they are on other devices. For example, pinch to zoom in the gallery is horrible when compared to the HTC Inspire or iPhone. It works but it isn't smooth like it should be or clearly can be.

Download the free Quickpic app and check it out. The difference is startling and proves the issue is not hardware.

9. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Oh ok cause I removed some things but left blur items alone

10. Rockinfigs

Rockinfigs Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    agree %100..i couldnt stand the the lag, switched to the inspire and im happy. hopefully motorola will come out with a better phone and ill be back

11. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    It's all about the user. The phone is ready to be customized to whatever needs you have, but if you do not know what you realy need and do not know or do not care to customize it - plus you have no idea about maintenance - the phone will crap out on you the same way a computer, car, bike or any other piece of equipment would.

12. Czarcat

None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager

My point was that it isn't an issue with the phone at all. It's just some poor software by Motorola which is easily fixed by the alternative apps I listed.

The Inspire is a great phone and I love mine. The Sense software is highly optimized and it shows. It just demonstrates my point about good software.

13. GrayKode

GrayKode Lurker
    None

Feb 27, 2011

I Agree, had my phone since day one.. running stock, no tweaks, no hacks, a few basic apps from the Market and Exchange and my phone hasnt lagged yet. i carry my iP4 and Atrix daily, and its browser is just as good as my iP4.

14. Czarcat

None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager
  15. Czarcat

None

Aug 2, 2010
    IT Manager
  16. GrayKode

GrayKode Lurker
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    Hmmm, after viewing your video, there is cleary some lag with the stock app when compared to the 3rd party apps. hopefully motorola updates these apps in the future.