1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Atrix or Galaxy S2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Deleted User, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
    Since the Galaxy S2 was announced today will you hold off on the Atrix? The Samsung has a better and larger screen, but their track record of updating their OS is poor. I am on the fence now.

Advertisement

2. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Grad student
    Martinsburg, WV & Portales, NM
    Atrix by miles. I am done with samsung B. S. They have amazing hardware that turns out to be a piece of crap Because they make dumb decisions and cannot write software

Plus, as to the screen the gs2 is at 216.97ppi while the Atrix is at 275.36ppi, a 21.2% better screen resolution on the Atrix. Maybe i am just jaded after my captivate experience, but the gs2 is just unappealing to both spec-wise and appearance- wise.

3. WarningSLO

WarningSLO Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Fullerton, CA
    I'm sure it will be a great phone, but I can't wait any longer. It's still the Atrix for me.

4. vinay427

vinay427 Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Same as the above people. I can't wait any longer and don't like Samsung's update policies. The Galaxy S2 screen isn't better by all accounts, however. The resolution is definitely worse. But, the Orion dual-core processor might beat the Tegra 2. Or it might not... :thinking:

5. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    EE

I'm seriously considering waiting, I know samsung has a bad rep for updating, but so far they haven't encrypted a bootloader. Plus the features that the s2 has that the atrix doesn't are: bigger screen, gyros, wifi direct, nfc, arguably better cameras (both). I'm also on the fence, it's nice that even the european models will be compatible with at&t's 3g (and "4g")

Of course the atrix has a bigger battery, hdmi and fingerprint reader so it's not all in sammy's favor. I know a lot of people that won't buy from samsung because of the gps issues and updating record but I'm not going to count them out, every company has had issues in my opinion.

6. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    Samsung....never again.

7. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    I wouldn't even consider the S2 since it's a Samsung phone, but the Atrix sounds very interesting, and I like Motorola phones. If I can unlock the Atrix, and the full price is reasonable, I might get one and give my HTC Desire to my wife. But the Atrix will have to be a really great phone since my Desire is almost perfect as it is right now.
    I'm not a fan of Samsung phones...I've had one, my wife had two, and her brother had one. All of them were different models, but they were all junk. I used the Galaxy S before buying the Desire last Auguest and wasn't overly impressed. So I bought the Desire instead a few days later. I like HTC phones, but would prefer a Motorola if it works as well as they say the Atrix does. I could use it to replace my laptop!
    :D
    Oddly enough, I'm a big fan of Samsung HDTV's and have owned several including two we have now, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. I'll pick up a 32" for my daughter at some point too since they're so cheap now. But will not buy a Samsung Android phone - I rather dislike the TouchWiz UI and much prefer the HTC Sense UI.

8. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    regarding Samsung updates, since it won't have a locked bootloader, the updates from Samsung won't matter to us devs.

i'd like to see a redesigned SII without the button on the bottom and a little shorter. as it stands, that thing is longer than my Evo and it's uncomfortable as it is to hit the power button. so we'll see. if they left it the same for US, i'd be okay with that and at that point it might be hard to choose tbh. still liking the Atrix though and think Motorola is a better handset manufacturer in general.

also, chipset wise, the SII is going to beat the Atrix in benchmarks, esp since it's running 2.3.

9. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    lol...you sound like me. I like Samsung monitors and HDTV's....but using a Samsung regular cell phone and a smartphone with the old Win Mo a few years ago....I never considered them with Android.

They do manage to stay a step ahead with specs tho. I will give them props for that.

10. IrrelevantD

IrrelevantD Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    the nail in the coffin for me on Samsung phones was the 2 Eternity phones bought under contract 2 years ago. Been using my old SE w810i from 2007 for the last 18 months.

11. griii2

griii2 Lurker
    None

May 22, 2011
    Same here, I had the Samsung Omnia and it the worst nightmare ever (software wise), I swore to god I will newer buy Samsung again but Android is not their product so I don't know.

12. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Another person who hated the Omnia 1...it was so bad I almost switched carriers and got an iPhone. I thought Verizon's service was getting bad too, turns out it was the Omnia 1...lol

I see this thread is a few months old. At this point in time, I am actually leaning towards the GS2. Battery life has me interested.