• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix Screen washed out? Compared to Nexus S.

It really isn't far enough off for me to notice it unless I sit there and think about it and compare it to something else side by side. Maybe I'm partially colorblind, but after reading this thread I had to look for it to see it...

Good news is that I still have not detected the PenTile matrix yet...

^Now that is good news about the Pentile Matrix...hope its like that for the phone I get, if I get it.

agreed, that is great to hear regarding the PenTile. i figured it would be a little better than a standard AMOLED/SAMOLED because of the pixel density/increase in res and then it being on a 4" screen

some people are just a bit picky i think. all i want out of the phone is great battery life (confirmed), speed (confirmed) and it to be more comfortable in my hand versus my Evo (sure this will be the case). the placement of the sleep/wake button was ingenious of Moto

Upvote 0
agreed, that is great to hear regarding the PenTile. i figured it would be a little better than a standard AMOLED/SAMOLED because of the pixel density/increase in res and then it being on a 4" screen
It is MUCH better resolution, but the colors and color brightness are even with the N1's Amoled I would say.

some people are just a bit picky i think. all i want out of the phone is great battery life (confirmed), speed (confirmed) and it to be more comfortable in my hand versus my Evo (sure this will be the case). the placement of the sleep/wake button was ingenious of Moto

I agree and am loving it so far!

Upvote 0
Yes, the screen is very washed out. It's more than just an SLCD vs AMOLED difference though. The color accuracy and saturation vs the HTC Inspire (non AMOLED) is not trivial.

I believe this is a color gamut issue presented by the Pentile RGBW Matrix. Because there is a white subpixel, this increases brightness and lowers power (nice) at the expense of color saturation and accuracy (not nice).

I find the screen to be very sharp, crisp, and pleasant for everyday activity. However, video playback and certain games (Words with Friends) are not enjoyable due to the color display.

In addition to the very poor yellow presentation, I find that most MP4 video files exhibit a very heavy red push most noticable in skin tones.

Upvote 0
There was a major article out about this back when the Galaxy S series was first launched, and other manufacturers were having to switch to sLCD screens, and someone took the time to test them (on the HTC Desire I think actually).
This isn't what I read about the OEMs switching screens. AMOLED/SAMOLED are proprietary of Samsung and because of insufficiant supply last year, Samsung kept the screens for themselves. This forced the other OEMS to switch their products from AMOLED to SLCD. This could be seen with the Nexus One and the Desire.

In terms of color/brightness, it is pretty close to the Amoled screen of my Nexus 1 (although LCD and MUCH more crisp and clearer; and I agree the yellow/orange color is a little off).

It really isn't far enough off for me to notice it unless I sit there and think about it and compare it to something else side by side. Maybe I'm partially colorblind, but after reading this thread I had to look for it to see it...

Good news is that I still have not detected the PenTile matrix yet...

Did you notice the Pentile Matrix on your Nexus One?
It is MUCH better resolution, but the colors and color brightness are even with the N1's Amoled I would say.

I agree and am loving it so far!
That's good to hear :)

Upvote 0
This isn't what I read about the OEMs switching screens. AMOLED/SAMOLED are proprietary of Samsung and because of insufficiant supply last year, Samsung kept the screens for themselves. This forced the other OEMS to switch their products from AMOLED to SLCD. This could be seen with the Nexus One and the Desire.

It was after the initial announcement, basically HTC's justification for the switch. I'll dig and try to find it, but they actually found the SLCD to be the best in terms of real-world use battery life, and it wasn't HTC that did the testing, it was some European company.

Did you notice the Pentile Matrix on your Nexus One?

Yes, I just hate reading anything on the Amoled/PenTile combo. Even though the Atrix has pentile, I have to hold it very close to see it or notice "jaggedness," with the N1 and especially the Captivate (the Captivate has a lower pixel density than the N1) I could see it at arm's length... color-wise the Atrix is very close to my N1 though, very very close (except orange; I found a few icons that have true yellow in them and are not bile-esque at all, so I think it is specific to the yellow/red combination)...

Upvote 0
It was after the initial announcement, basically HTC's justification for the switch. I'll dig and try to find it, but they actually found the SLCD to be the best in terms of real-world use battery life, and it wasn't HTC that did the testing, it was some European company.
I would have thought had the AMOLED shortage not happened, HTC would have still used AMOLED.

Yes, I just hate reading anything on the Amoled/PenTile combo. Even though the Atrix has pentile, I have to hold it very close to see it or notice "jaggedness," with the N1 and especially the Captivate (the Captivate has a lower pixel density than the N1) I could see it at arm's length... color-wise the Atrix is very close to my N1 though, very very close (except orange; I found a few icons that have true yellow in them and are not bile-esque at all, so I think it is specific to the yellow/red combination)...
That's great :D It might be my bad eyesight since I only notice the Pentile Maxtrix effect on my Nexus when I looked at the screen really hard, lol. So it wasn't as big as an annoyance as for many others. I'm hoping that with the Atrix, I wont' notice it at all :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones