1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Atrix vs Galaxy s2 vs iphone 5?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by archer75, Jul 26, 2011.

1. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Currently in the market for a phone but not in a huge rush. I can wait a month or two if needed.

I'm leaning towards the Motorola Atrix but am also looking at iphone5 or galaxy S2.

I know the iphone 5 and Galaxy s2 are not out yet in states. Rumored the samsung will be next month and iphone 5 rumored for september.

Current reviews/comparisons are good for the atrix. They compare it with froyo against the galaxy s2 with gingerbread and give the edge to samsung but gingerbread offers better performance and the atrix can be updated to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGyJk2luvv4 The galaxy should have the better camera though. The screen looks better on the samsung from what I can see in comparison videos. But I wonder if it's too big? Hard to decide.

Advertisement

2. k3Ck

k3Ck Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Slacker
    NJ
    Whatever you do don't get an iPhone or any Apple product, ever.

[​IMG]

3. archer75

None

Jul 25, 2011
    Well that's really irrelevant. All builders mark up ram. Though that picture is quite old and while ram from apple doesn't cost anywhere near that much now it is still over priced. Either way anyone with half a brain knows you buy your own ram. I put 16gb in this imac i'm typing on.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality/features of phones.

4. NeverFollow05

NeverFollow05 Newbie
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    State Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    My 3GS iPhone was my life. If I ever left my wallet at home, I usually wouldn't turn around. I would if it was phone (sad, right?) I used it for school, music, work, and of course, as a phone. iTunes works well and their interface is easy to use.

I wasn't impressed with the reliability, however. I frequently exchanged mine for various problems (SIM card pins warped, headphone jack stopped working).

I am much happier with my Atrix. I picked up a 16gb microSD card, got InvisibleShield installed, and upgraded to Gingerbread. This phone destroys the iPhone in all ways, and syncs great with Windows. It's fast, pretty, great camera (5MP is plenty for most people), great qHD screen, micro HDMI out, and good battery life (now; the Froyo Atrix was awful). Call quality is good, etc ... and having the ability to get 4G is pretty sweet (make sure to check).

Granted, the iPhone5 will be better than my 3GS, but ... IDK I like Apple's computers, but I feel like their consumer electronics (like the iPhone) are rushed out and have quality issues ... and their software is more locked down than a convicted felon.

All in all, I am very happy with the Atrix, and Android.

5. k3Ck

k3Ck Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Male
    Slacker
    NJ
    It's hilarious and no it's not, it shows what a horrible company they are. Everything they sell is extremely, grossly overpriced foxconn hardware that's made in sweatshops/labor camps, including the iPhone.

"A large, secretive contract manufacturer, some of the most renowned products Foxconn makes include the iPhone[5] and the iPad."

I wonder why they are so secretive? Let's find out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn#Controversies

;)

Anyways back to phone talk. I owned an several iPhones for 3 years. They are horrid compared to Android. I would never ever even consider an iPhone after using Android.

Both the Atrix and S2 are great choices. You can't go wrong with either one.

6. archer75

None

Jul 25, 2011
    No, not everything they make is made at foxconn. They assemble iphones, ipads and mac minis there. Though they don't make all the parts for those products there, if any.
    Though honestly I really don't care. Most companies contract with other companies to make at least some of the hardware for them. Foxconn is a massive company and they don't make hardware just for apple but also Motorola, Dell, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, acer, asus, intel, nokia, msi, cisco, asrock, amazon, vizio and HP.
    Yes, Motorola does have at least some of their phones assembled by Foxconn. So if you're going to complain about apple having some of their products assembled there then you have to complain about motorola as well.

I've been on the other side of the overpriced argument but the more i've researched the more it's not the case. They do charge a premium but they also have the highest customer service and satisfaction rates in the industry. Even flat out replacing entire machines even outside of warranty.

But honestly it has no place here. I'm sure there's nice soapbox around here for you somewhere.

7. Dude2

Dude2 Member
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Southern US
    Upgraded to the Atrix for $29 from Let'sTalk/Walmart at the beginning of July and it has been fantastic and unbeleivebly fast. Here are a couple of things I have bought to make it even better.

- Bought the real Motorola Battery for $45.( I have bought the cheap knock off batteries from eBay before, but chickened out this time. I have had good luck with Mugen or Lion, in the past but they were same price as Motorola. Bought the wall charger from Naked Cell Phone on eBay. Both have worked flawlessly so far. So phone with battery was $29, second battery was $45, go figure.)

- Bought the full wrap for the Atrix from Best Skin Ever, $8.99. This the first time I have ever used their products and it is unbeleivable how well it fits and adhears to the screen and casing. You apply it with soapy water so you float the skin sections into place. I thought the water would be hazadous to the Atrix, but it was no problem, the soapy water evaporates (the skin is gas permiable) and the skin just seems to cure to the body and screen of the phone. Have no idea how they do this.

- Also bought Spb Shell 3D for $14.95. A little pricey, but again this is an unbeleivable product. It has a 3D acceleration engine that actully makes the Atrix faster and with Android 2.3.4 it is even faster. Cannot recommend this UI highly enough. As of today they have had 9 updates since April, 2011.

The Samsung looks like a good devise, but you will not regret getting the Atrix if that is what you go with.

8. _sC

_sC Well-Known Member
    None

May 11, 2011
    i love my atrix.. but the gs2 looks amazing! the only thing putting me off is the price. i bought my atrix without any contracts so it cost me 500 bucks.. if i were to do that again (which i prefer) with the gs2 i believe it'll run around 750 if im not mistaken.. a little too much for a phone, especially in my eyes its only a little bit better than atrix. definitely not 250 bucks worth better.

9. chicknlil

chicknlil Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Female
    New England
    The AT&T version of the Galaxy S2 will be called the Attain - you may want to check out those forums on this site, given that the latest rumors have the Attain having a hardware keyboard. Supposedly, a "lesser" version will be offered without the keyboard.

The international version - unlocked, etc - is available now, through places like Negri. Will set you back a pretty penny though...

10. ScuroRaven

ScuroRaven Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    From experience, Samsung is crap. Every Samsung phone I, or mt friend have owned start falling after 3 months. Their hardware starts to crash. Iphones keep getting worse with every update.

11. Jolter164

Jolter164 Lurker
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    I have(had) two 3g Iphones that were barely working anymore and after buying my son an Inspire decided to switch to Android. I'm still holding out a couple of weeks hoping for the Attain release but I upgraded my wife's phone to an Atrix today and it's an incredible device! If the Attain doesn't release soon I'll buy another Atrix for myself without hesitation. Super impressive compared to the 3g Iphone(as it should be I suppose) and I really love the ability to customize Android devices.

12. aneftp

aneftp Member
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    DC/Orlando
    First we don't know what the iphone 5 will have (but probably have similar specs to the iPad 2).

As for Atrix vs. Galaxy S2. It's just a matter of preference. The display on the Samsung S2 is probably the best out there right now and it's 4.3 inches.

Speed wise, Atrix vs. S2 are probably very similar.
    Battery life Atrix beats the S2 easily.

You really can't lose with either of those choices. Although the rumored Atrix 2 is on the horizon.

If you can get an Atrix for dirt cheap on contract (say free or less than $50) that may be the way to go.

Because you know the S2 and iphone 5 will cost a minimal of $200 on contract.

13. chicknlil

chicknlil Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Female
    New England
    I've had my captivate for a year. it replaced a Samsung Eternity, which replaced another Samsung (which only was replaced because it went through the washer/dryer!). My mother's last 2 phones have been Samsungs.

That's not to say they're perfect (is any manufacturer?) ... but they're generally durable, and they're pretty willing to work with the dev community.

14. W00MBA

W00MBA Newbie
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    sorry to bring this post back, but it was bothering me. What you listed is completely irrelevant. First of all. ANY computer manufacturer/builder will add extra for any upgrade, not just the cost of the hardware. Second, the ram you compared it to isnt even the right ram for the system. Pretty much all all-in-one computers (both pc and mac) use laptop ram instead of desktop. The ram you listed from newegg is 240-pin desktop memory. Also, the ram from newegg isnt a very good one, so the price is lower than what reliable ram would cost. Compare it to the cost of Kingston, OCZ, or Crucial instead.

In response to the OP, it's hard to tell what the other phones will have right now. There are always rumors about what it "might" have, but until they are confirmed, you cant base an opinion off of them. If you are in the market for a phone right now, i think that the Atrix is a good choice. Coming from an iPhone, i can say from experience that iOS an android are completely different worlds. Apple's phones are great, but they havent really strayed to far from the original design. Sure they add new features and looks, but the phone functions more or less the same than the original.

15. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 9, 2009
    Gloucestershire, ENG
    Everyone lists that the Galaxy has the better screen but with a higher res and a smaller form I prefer the Atrix. Yes it doesn't have the bleeding colour of the s2 but its colour pallete is more natural.

16. MikeAusA

MikeAusA Member
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    With qHD, the Atrix has 30% more pixels than the SGSII.

Any App you can get for iPhone, you can be pretty sure of now getting for Android. So let's compare Widgets on Android and iPhone . . . . oh, wait - Steve doesn't let anyone have widgets on the iPhone . . . . or Flash !!!

Have a look at the Video for market.android.com/details?id=com.jim2 to see the amazing things that a brilliant programmer can do with Widgets - using a FREE App !!!

Mike

17. MikeAusA

MikeAusA Member
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't believe that Fluorescent green grass or fluorescent blue skies are evidence of a BETTER display - natural looking fleshtones are an indicator of an ACCURATE display, and the Atrix performs well there.

18. scorxcho

scorxcho Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    First off sorry to tell you, but that picture is very irrelevant.

Secondly, it's inaccurate. The RAM at the top of the screen is a module to fit in a laptop.
    The RAM at Newegg is designed to fit in a desktop computer...

DDR2 RAM clocked at 667 MHz obviously show how outdated your argument would be in the first place.
    So your argument is flawed.

Apple isn't the only one that markups parts.

19. archer75

None

Jul 25, 2011
    I'm now debating between the atrix and the HTC Sensation. I decided I don't want to spend what a S2 is likely to cost so now I need to decide between these two. There is a cost difference. I can get the sensation for $150 with no activation fee. Atrix costs me $25.

After doing a lot of reading from professional reviews and users what i've come up with this:

Sensation has a better build quality than the atrix and feels better in the hand. I've seen them in person so i'd agree with this.

The sensation suffers from signal degradation depending on how you are holding it but not as bad as the iphone. Atrix fares much better. Anandtech has some numbers on this.

The sensation has a much worse speakerphone and not as good call quality as the atrix based upon reviews.

All reviewers agree the atrix has better performance.

All reviewers agree the sensation has better video quality but from the comparisons I have seen they look the same to me.

Most reviewers agree the sensation has a better camera and I would agree from what i've seen. Some say the atrix does. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

The Atrix is $125+ cheaper than the sensation but the sensation can do wifi calling which I am interested in.

Reviews suggest the sensation gets a much faster and more stable GPS lock than the atrix.

Everyone seems to prefer HTC sense over motoblur. I'd agree. But you can change it.

I like the larger screen of the sensation

20. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Galaxy S II is worth waiting for, fastest phone available and the only phone currently available that could match or better the iPhone 5.

Get the Sensation out of those two, Tegra 2 is so 2010.

This is why you should ignore reviews, Atrix does not have better performance. :mad:

I have no interest in the Atrix at all, it's got a nice battery but that's about it.

21. archer75

None

Jul 25, 2011
    Don't want to spend that much. It certainly looks like the best phone, no doubt about that. But i've since changed my mind and can't justify spending that much.

Ignore every single review that shows the atrix on top for performance in every single one? And that's when it was running froyo and it still bested the sensation. With gingerbread it's supposed to be even faster. Close to but not quite at S2 speeds. That's not bad for $25. I've read an enormous amount of reviews and video comparisons, I find it hard to believe that they all lied about the performance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK7py6YBo8M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhNXYNSgeyg&feature=relmfu

22. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    The problem is this post isn't very constructive, just because you choose not to buy Apple products doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone.

Please keep posts constructive and helpful. Posting something like this was pretty unnecessary.

As for the OP, I hope you find the info you were looking for. My recommendation would definitely be for the SGSII. But it's all a matter of personal preference, I would wait until you have a chance to actually feel and play around with the devices before making a final decision. Just because something looks good on paper, doesn't mean it's going to live up to expectations when you get a chance to try it out.

23. JaSauders

JaSauders Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    This comment. I like it. Speaking on a serious note, I really can't find myself supporting a technology company that has had the track record Apple has. It's too closed of a standard for my tastes, not to mention the repeated news reports about the quality conditions of the workers who make these products. That said, in all sincerity, I'd avoid any and all Apple products.

24. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    "sigh"

I don't know what you've been reading but the Atrix is not faster and gingerbread does not magically improve performance, I wish it did.

EDIT: I wouldn't pay too much attention to quadrant scores, smartbench is another one best ignored.

25. archer75

None

Jul 25, 2011
    Video reviews I posted above also show real world comparisons. And it's consistent across all reviews. I could post more. As far as gingerbread being faster i've just going by what i've heard from other users on these forums.
    In fact this is the first time in all my research that i've found anyone who's said the atrix is not faster than the sensation. Which is why i'm surprised.

Do you own an atrix?