• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix vs Inspire

Be careful, I had just done the same thing, and they would only give me $75 off of a new phone. I told them it was ridiculous...
lol, wouldn't it be better to just get the phone unsubsidized then? This way, you don't have to resign a 2 yr contract. I don't really see much of a difference between $500 and $425.

Upvote 0
its a big deal becacuse its the first AT&T phone that doesnt need that gay work around to sideload an app

According to the CNET's review of the Inspire, it DOES 'need that gay work around' to sideload an app.

CNET's Review of the HTC Inspire 4G

"The good: The HTC Inspire 4G is affordably priced and boasts a large display. The Android 2.2 smartphone runs on AT&T's HSPA+ network and offers mobile hot-spot capabilities. New HTC Sense provides faster boot time and other enhancements. It also has an 8-megapixel camera that takes excellent photos. The bad: The smartphone is rather large and heavy, and the battery cover is difficult to remove. We didn't experience great 4G speeds. AT&T blocks third-party apps. Lacks a front-facing camera."

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Great post, I like them both, my wife got the HTC Inspire with the sense UI and it's cool I'll admit, I got the Atrix and side by side her webpages are way faster on AT&T's network, don't care what page I'm loading. We just got these phones on 3/29 and while I like the Atrix for the powerhouse features I like her UI better than Atrix, period. I was told Launcher Pro Plus was what I should replace Motoblur with, now to find "where to find and how to replace it" is another story. Just joined this forum so I'm searching (literally using this sites search feature) and coming up empty handed so far. Open to tips.

Upvote 0
I too am looking for pros and cons of each of these phones. My Captivate is wearing on my last nerve. So most of these post were about specs before the phones even came out, as you can read in the Captivate forum, specs aren't everything. IIRC the Captivate was the on top of the spec sheets when it came out, and it is laggy, buggy, freezy and just plain crappy. With the Atrix you maybe getting the top specs, but if Motorola has bad software, it doesnt matter.

So, now that these phones have been out, what say you's who have them?

Upvote 0
I too am looking for pros and cons of each of these phones. My Captivate is wearing on my last nerve. So most of these post were about specs before the phones even came out, as you can read in the Captivate forum, specs aren't everything. IIRC the Captivate was the on top of the spec sheets when it came out, and it is laggy, buggy, freezy and just plain crappy. With the Atrix you maybe getting the top specs, but if Motorola has bad software, it doesnt matter.

So, now that these phones have been out, what say you's who have them?
Have you read the thread :)

This is a good thead to see the issues people have complained about: http://androidforums.com/atrix-4g-s...67-official-atrix-problems-issues-thread.html

Reactions: anoid
Upvote 0
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but it sounds like people are favoring the Inspire. Is that the general verdict?

I'm probably going to be purchasing a phone today, so I'm really looking into this.

I've never owned a smartphone before, so I'm guessing anything I get is going to be amazing. ;)

One thing I'm kinda curious about is the Motoblur thing. Is it really going to be a problem for someone who hasn't experienced anything else? Is there an option to flash the Atrix for something better? I'd hate to be stuck with something I'd quickly dislike.

I've also heard that it depends on the phone for whether or not you can upgrade the OS version. Is that true? Can you get 2.3 on either phone?

Upvote 0
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but it sounds like people are favoring the Inspire. Is that the general verdict?

I'm probably going to be purchasing a phone today, so I'm really looking into this.

I've never owned a smartphone before, so I'm guessing anything I get is going to be amazing. ;)

One thing I'm kinda curious about is the Motoblur thing. Is it really going to be a problem for someone who hasn't experienced anything else? Is there an option to flash the Atrix for something better? I'd hate to be stuck with something I'd quickly dislike.

I've also heard that it depends on the phone for whether or not you can upgrade the OS version. Is that true? Can you get 2.3 on either phone?

You can flash AOSP and HTC sense builds of Gingerbread on the Inspire (I'm running Gingerbread 2.3.3 w/Sense 2.1 right now), but not the Atrix because the bootloader is encrypted.

Upvote 0
You can flash AOSP and HTC sense builds of Gingerbread on the Inspire (I'm running Gingerbread 2.3.3 w/Sense 2.1 right now), but not the Atrix because the bootloader is encrypted.

True, but it just seems like at this point the Inspire is going to be phased out soon since it's only equipped with a single core cpu. I mean, I could be wrong, but that's just the impression I get.

Upvote 0
True, but it just seems like at this point the Inspire is going to be phased out soon since it's only equipped with a single core cpu. I mean, I could be wrong, but that's just the impression I get.

Well, the Inspire, even though it came out in Feburay on AT&T, has been out as the Desire HD since October/November of last year. It does contain 'last year' technology as the saying goes.

Good article on benefits of dual cores

Upvote 0
Well, the Inspire, even though it came out in Feburay on AT&T, has been out as the Desire HD since October/November of last year. It does contain 'last year' technology as the saying goes.

Good article on benefits of dual cores

I appreciate the help. Though I totally understand where they're coming from in that article, I typically keep my phones for 3+ years (unless I catastrophically damage it - /knockonwood). I think I read a posting (might have been from you) that said Moto & ATT have already released 2 major updates to this phone, so it looks like they're planning to support it pretty deeply.

With that, I suppose I may go with it in hopes that that's the case. I may not ever use all the power it has, but I'll have the option to if they happen to release something to do so, right?

Upvote 0
I went from an Inspire to an Atrix. I only had the Inspire for a few weeks, the battery performance made me lose my mind. I'm much happier with the Atrix overall and I'm not worried about the Motoblur. The Inspire did feel much more legit because of the materials and weight but I was afraid of dropping it all the time. The Atrix is much cheaper of a build and I'm not as worried about tossing it around. The size is much more of what I was used to coming from an iPhone as well.

Upvote 0
Both will be phased out pretty soon as AT&T is starting to lay the groundwork for their LTE devices.

I respectfully disagree with shawn on this point. I believe that both phones have bright futures with AT&T. The dual processors on the Atrix almost insure that it's not going anywhere for awhile. The developers haven't even *begun* to write apps (and custom roms) which take advantage of the power this setup has, and the 4.0 size of the screen seems to be the optimum size for a lot of people - the "Sweet Spot".

The Inspire is a very good smart phone as well, with the larger size (4.3 inches) which seems to be the direction that the Super Phones are headed as well as the latest version of HTC Sense. I can't see AT&T phasing it out for a least a year or more, and even then, HTC & AT&T will continue to service and (hopefully) upgrade the existing phones.

No cause for panic, IMHO - enjoy the best that's out there. :):)

-Mike

Upvote 0
Also...the XDA developers have bypassed the bootloader with a working Kexec. They are working on loading a kernel onto the Atrix. Once that happens, custom ROMs won't be far off. This was the biggest gripe that most of us have with the Atrix and have caused many of our betherens to go for the Inspire.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1079097
[BOOTLOADER BYPASS -WIP] EternityProject Kexec method for Motorola Olympus (Atrix 4G) - xda-developers http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1079097

Upvote 0
Also...the XDA developers have bypassed the bootloader with a working Kexec. They are working on loading a kernel onto the Atrix. Once that happens, custom ROMs won't be far off. This was the biggest gripe that most of us have with the Atrix and have caused many of our betherens to go for the Inspire.

[BOOTLOADER BYPASS -WIP] EternityProject Kexec method for Motorola Olympus (Atrix 4G) - xda-developers

But Roze, the same situation exists with the Droid X (locked bootloader), and in less than a year the developers have created a rich and varied group of "roms" for that platform. It takes *time* to create/craft these type of things, and we just have to be patient.

-Mike

Upvote 0
But Roze, the same situation exists with the Droid X (locked bootloader), and in less than a year the developers have created a rich and varied group of "roms" for that platform. It takes *time* to create/craft these type of things, and we just have to be patient.

-Mike
I was given the impression that the ROMs for the DX were based on the stock kernel and not custom kernels.

Upvote 0

What did you decide to get?

Upvote 0
I was given the impression that the ROMs for the DX were based on the stock kernel and not custom kernels.

Yes, the DX roms *are* based on the stock kernel. My point was that the extremely talented developers in the android community have worked their magic over the last year and given us a virtual cornucopia of roms and themes for the Droid X platform. I feel confident that they'll do even better on the Atrix, with the extra power it has under the hood. But, it'll take time to do this. The Atrix is a very "young" phone, compared to the DX, so we just have to be patient. :)

-Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones