• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix with Laptop Dock and Printer Support?

gbeardmore

Lurker
Jan 20, 2011
So if the Atrix with the Laptop Dock works as advertised, I'm thinking it may be able to serve as my only "PC" on a day-to-day basis. We have a perfectly adequate Laptop in the den for photos, etc. that my wife uses as her primary computer. I really just need very basic computing features, and the Atrix with the Laptop Dock should do all I need.

I do have one concern though. Will I be able to print with this set-up? I'm hoping that I can connect to my wireless printer here at home. I know I could e-mail any document to my wife's PC and print from there, but that sounds kinda convoluted. I just hope I can connect to my networked printer without having to go thru those kinds of hoops.

Anybody know about this issue?

So if the Atrix with the Laptop Dock works as advertised, I'm thinking it may be able to serve as my only "PC" on a day-to-day basis. We have a perfectly adequate Laptop in the den for photos, etc. that my wife uses as her primary computer. I really just need very basic computing features, and the Atrix with the Laptop Dock should do all I need.

I do have one concern though. Will I be able to print with this set-up? I'm hoping that I can connect to my wireless printer here at home. I know I could e-mail any document to my wife's PC and print from there, but that sounds kinda convoluted. I just hope I can connect to my networked printer without having to go thru those kinds of hoops.

Anybody know about this issue?

"PrinterShare" in the Android Market should do just that...

Upvote 0
If you have one PC that is always on, you can use the Dropbox printer setup:
Print Files on Your Printer from Any Phone or Remote Computer via Dropbox
I use this at my house, we have a dropbox account on our server with a shared folder that everyone in the house has access to. If you want to print from your phone you just push the file to the dropbox folder and a second later the file is coming out of the networked laser printer.

Upvote 0
The dock is a scam... I just unlocked webtop over hdmi and am using the $70 moto BT keyboard and an Apple magic mouse which work flawlessly... $50 less than the multi-dock and a MUCH better mouse AT&T should be ashamed of the dogshrt wired mouse they bundled with the dock kit.

As far printing goes, we'll see hplip get ported to android very soon and you'll be able to use HP wireless printers without some lame/clunky abortion from the marketplace... Sit tight and I will post back when I have a working printer running natively.

Upvote 0
LTE4Ever;[URL="tel:5031200" said:
5031200[/URL]]Curious to know if the Apple Magic Mouse multigesture or swipes work when connected to the Atrix. Moreover, how do you go 'back' when using that mouse?

Not sure what type of mouse the "Apple Magic" is, but I will say that a regular corded or USB mouse works perfectly with the dock. You can swipe thru screens by holding the left button on the mouse while moving the mouse to which ever way you want to swipe. (Letting the button go when you get to the screen or place you desire.) If you have the scroll wheel, you can scroll up/down as well. (Of course this is in the mobile window view.) It works like a regular mouse on a window PC in the webtop view window.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones