1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Atrocious Battery Life/Weird Behavior (Original Droid, CM7)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Whitechapel, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Whitechapel

Whitechapel Newbie
    None

May 4, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I finally got Cyanogenmod 7 on my phone yesterday, and one of the main reasons I spent all day fighting with my phone was to improve my phone's battery life. This morning the phone was all charged up, I took it off the charger for a couple hours. I send a few texts and run to the grocery store, as I'm walking in, I get the 15% battery warning. What the hell! I thought this thing was charged! Then I get back from the store 15 minutes later, take the screen shot below, and plug it in. Suddenly it says that the phone is a 60%? I have no clue what is going on with my phone or why.

Also, I need to know some ways to save my battery life. I set my Facebook to only update once an hour, email every 30 minutes (maybe an hour, I forget), set the automatic brightness. I need my phone and I bought a car charger for it, but I shouldn't have to worry every time I leave the apartment that my phone's going to just randomly die on me. So what do you guys think? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Whitechapel likes this.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Sounds like your battery might be getting towards it's end. Also something I have been doing with my cell phones for years now is having an extra battery and a battery only charger. It seems like my batteries last (and live) longer that way. Besides, that port you plug the cord into on your phone is for hacking man!

That's all I can think of, I wasn't having that bad of life with CM7.

good luck

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    And if you haven't done so, make sure you also go into ClockworkMod Recovery, select Advanced, and Wipe Battery Stats. That will slowly re-calibrate the battery's actual state. VERY important to do if you change the battery out.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    If you plan on doing the wiping of the battery stats, then you should use the following procedure:

1. Charge battery fully (until side white LED is no longer on)
    2. Wipe battery stats
    3. Run the battery all the way down until the phone shuts off.
    4. Charge fully.

Also, note that CM7 in and of itself has decent battery life - but all the apps you have installed (and particularly those that run services in the background - Phandroid app, Google+, Maps, Honeycomb Music player, Trillian, etc.) will easily kill your battery really quickly. The reason is that CM7 takes a lot more RAM to operate than FroYo did, and CM7 also has a very highly aggressive memory manager. That, coupled with a lot of apps that run services in the background, means that you're going to need either 1) a spare battery / multiple spare batteries, or 2) a charger handy and a convenient way to charge the phone regardless of where you are.

Also, Most widgets, and particularly those that update often, are out - the more often things update, the more your battery is gonna blow. I learned this fact the hard way when I tried to have FB Widget and Twitter widget on my phone, along with most of those apps I listed above installed - I had my battery die in a matter of a couple of hours, thinking to myself "WTF?!?"