• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ATT wants to charge for sbcglobal.net e-mail settings!

RogerDeanD

Lurker
Nov 21, 2009
I can go to yahoo on web and access e-mail account w/folders/address/ etc. but can't attach! Go to e-mail icon on DROID window and I have set my incoming e-mail to pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and can't access folders or address but can attach! Not sure if everything is correct. ATT wants me to pay for SUPPORT PLUS to get the corrrect settings. I did set up a yahoo.com and got all my folders, but I don't send e-mail with the "yahoo" domain. I prefer to use "sbcglobal.net".

I am new to "gmail" so will gradually switch over to my g-mail account. I refuse to pay ATT a monthly fee for internet service and pay again to get e-mail settings for my VERIZON phone. Anyone know how to set up e-mail so I can send an e-mail with "sbcglobal.net instead of "yahoo.com" like on my PC internet? Sorry for such a long post but ATT SUPPORT charging really 'goes against my grain' to put it in a PG rated post!!

usually companies have info for their pop3 and imap settings on their support webpages. The idiots they get to staff support phone lines for them often dont even know this.

should be info like this:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573&ct=9000734

While it's instructions for using at&t in Outlook, you can usually find the settings that the droid asks for when setting up email there (such as the smtp server, security type, etc.)

Good luck.

Upvote 0
usually companies have info for their pop3 and imap settings on their support webpages. The idiots they get to staff support phone lines for them often dont even know this.

should be info like this:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573&ct=9000734

While it's instructions for using at&t in Outlook, you can usually find the settings that the droid asks for when setting up email there (such as the smtp server, security type, etc.)

Good luck.

Alostpacket, Thank you. I have the pop and smtp settings from my att support from pc member center. Those didn't work as well. I used the IMAP settings listed on this forum and yahoo worked, but would send the email in yahoo.com not sbcglobal.net. ??

Upvote 0
Alostpacket, Thank you. I have the pop and smtp settings from my att support from pc member center. Those didn't work as well. I used the IMAP settings listed on this forum and yahoo worked, but would send the email in yahoo.com not sbcglobal.net. ??

Sounds like just how they configure the servers. There may be nothing you can do about it, I'm not sure.

Luckily you will have a much easier time as you migrate to Gmail. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Upvote 0
I also have an sbcglobal.net email address (among others) which I prefer to use as my "send from" email...

In other words when I send an email I like it to appear as if I sent it from my sbcglobal address.

I configured my gmail account to send all my emails with my sbcglobal address. I believe this is under settings/accounts on gmail.

For all of my incoming emails for my yahoo and sbcglobal email accounts, I simply logged in to my yahoo account and set it to forward all of my emails to my gmail account.

When I set up gmail on the droid, everything shows up. It has been a very reliable setup for me.

Upvote 0
Here's my response from a different thread:

I have a sbcglobal.net account, here's what worked for me on the Droid Incredible:

Protocol: POP
Email Address: xxx@sbcglobal.net
Password: your password
Username: xxx@sbcglobal.net
POP: pop.att.yahoo.com
Server Port: 995
Security Type:Click on "SSL"
Outgoing smtp: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Security Type: None
Server Port: 25

The last 2 fields I listed actually populated automatically and worked fine.

Here's a listing of many POP servers and their incoming server names:
Answer Center | AT&T

A list of outgoing SMTP Server Hosts:
ISP Outgoing SMTP Server Hosts - AOL, Cox, Comcast, SBC, AT&T, Adelphia, Roadrunner, Earthlink and Others - host45.com

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I can go to yahoo on web and access e-mail account w/folders/address/ etc. but can't attach! Go to e-mail icon on DROID window and I have set my incoming e-mail to pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and can't access folders or address but can attach! Not sure if everything is correct. ATT wants me to pay for SUPPORT PLUS to get the corrrect settings. I did set up a yahoo.com and got all my folders, but I don't send e-mail with the "yahoo" domain. I prefer to use "sbcglobal.net".

I am new to "gmail" so will gradually switch over to my g-mail account. I refuse to pay ATT a monthly fee for internet service and pay again to get e-mail settings for my VERIZON phone. Anyone know how to set up e-mail so I can send an e-mail with "sbcglobal.net instead of "yahoo.com" like on my PC internet? Sorry for such a long post but ATT SUPPORT charging really 'goes against my grain' to put it in a PG rated post!!

Tell me tjis is a joke... they actually think they can charge us for a YAHOO account? ... T H A T will be the day...

Upvote 0
Tell me tjis is a joke... they actually think they can charge us for a YAHOO account? ... T H A T will be the day...

Actually they can and many do for premium features like using external domains since Yahoo runs the AT&T Mail Plus network. I had to jump though hoops to keep my bellsouth.net email from the days of dialup after migrating from DSL to U-Verse. I later created a new sub account it moved me off the legacy servers and over to the new system which blocks the ports needed to use external mail servers. At first my call to support went to India who have zero clue about any of this and pointed me to the Yahoo Plus service. The next day i was able to get someone in a US call center who got me back on the legacy servers again.

Yahoo Mail Plus - AT&T Community Support

For some Gmail is the answer but personally i feel Google knows to much about my life already. :eek:

Upvote 0

Umm, no..

They don't charge for that kind of information... as posted by someone else it's online at no cost... And they will read you that stuff over the phone.

AT&T Mobility (your cell phone company) will troubleshoot your wireless service at no cost. They will verify your device has data access (can get online) and give you basic support on how to set it up, such as servers and device settings.

Like posted above.

If you make it seem like more than that or the person you spoke too was so "inclined" they would offer you to pay for "Enhanced support" for additional assistance @$3.99 per month added to your insurance. Enhance support would go on your AT&T Mobility bill but would be through your insurance provider, Asurion. AT&T Mobility's only real job is to make sure you have internet access, when it come down to it on this, but they want good text message survey responses :D

In a nut shell, if all you need is the email settings and a hand hold through it AT&T Mobility will not charge you. Never hurts them to ask though ;). I'm sure they apologize for any misunderstandings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones