• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Attachment wont download - microsoft exchange

Boopolo

Jan 16, 2010
Hi there,

I cannot get any attachments to download on both LG G2 and Gpad
I downloaded all these various office apps but still nothing.
eg. It jsut says "abc.doc" did not download

Cannot find anything specific on internet about this.
Anyone experienced this?

I need to use email for work and need the emails to be received instantly, and was told to use microsoft exchange. Im using zoho mail with own domain name if that makes any difference. I used my old xperia v and worked fine.

Thanks

Are you using the G2's Email client?

Have you tried using the Gmail client instead? That is, set up Gmail on the PC browser first (not from the phone) to pull in your Zoho mail. Then see if the Gmail app on your G2 pulls in the email with attachments to your phone when it syncs?

I haven't had any attachment issues using either the Gmail client or the LG Email client, HOWEVER, I do not use any exchange type accounts.

Upvote 0
What is G2 Email client? I went to add account then chose that email lgoo with the yellow black @ in the envelope. then to manual setup.

Is there any other way to get email pushed to phone without it waiting?
I also tried an app called aqua emails but jsut couldnt sign in.
Also tried touchdown but i dont like this email, but it did work.

Upvote 0
Yes, the G2 Email client is the white closed envelope with the yellow "@" symbol.

The Gmail client is a white open envelope with a red "M" coming out of it.

But my suggestion was that instead of the G2 Email client polling your zoho email, that the Gmail (accessed from the desktop) would poll your zoho account, and then GMail client on the phone would sync with Gmail.

What would be even faster, I daresay almost instant, is to forward your zoho email to gmail account, and then the Gmail client on the phone would sync to the account via IMAP.

Upvote 0
That sounds quite complicated for me but i think i got you.

I need to reply with my @owndomainname.com so
if i forward it to gmail like you suggest, can i still reply with my own email add? do i need to sign up with another gmail and then log in as this gmail account and view myowndomain emails on gmail? but when i reply, like i said earlier, wouldnt it reply as ...@gmail.com?

Upvote 0
What I personally do is forward my pop3 mail to gmail. However, I just use the G2 Email client mainly because I don't need to have my mail delivered immediately (every 15 minutes is fine for me). That said, I do also have my pop3 email account set up in my G2 in addition to the gmail account.

This allows me to reply to the inbound gmail account but using my pop3 account for the "Send As", so the people I am replying to have no idea that my email is coming in through gmail. I do have to be careful though to change my From address, otherwise my "cover" is blown.

BUT, depending on how your zoho mail works when you forward emails (does it keep the original on the server or delete it?), you can also set your G2 email to not pull your zoho mail automatically (set it to manual) so that when you NEED to reply to the original email instead of from your gmail with the From address changed, you can do so by initiating a poll from your G2.

You are right, maybe this is overly complex and could turn out confusing.

That said, let's go back to the original setup with a question: is the email account set up to download attachments always or just on wi-fi, and is there an attachment size limit? I know these are probably the first things you checked but thought I'd eliminate the obvious since you didn't really mention if you had looked at those settings. But while that may solve your attachment issue, it wouldn't solve the instant email issue. The only way I know around that is to use IMAP (with gmail as an intermediary between your zoho account and your phone) with the Gmail client.

In summary: set zoho to forward to a new gmail account, set up the Gmail app on your phone to point at the new gmail account. Test send an email with an attachment, see if it's instant and if you get the attachment. If so, reply to that email and change the Reply From to your zoho address*.

*I'm not 100% you can do that in the Gmail app, however I've also taken an extra step on my gmail account to allow aliases and for sent mail to go through my ISP's outbound server and not gmail's outbound server. If the Gmail app allows that also, you are golden. The work around would be to use the Gmail app to receive mail (assuming that attachments work and email is instant) and the G2 Email app to send mail (by pulling it down only when you need to reply to something). Not very elegant I'm afraid -- hopefully someone else has a better solution.

Upvote 0
Thanks Klotar,

Very informative.

I checked all settings and like you mention i cannot afford to blow my cover, this is my business so would pretty dismal and unprofessional.

Hmmm, good idea, your last paragraph could be a work around.

I just downloaded touchdown and it downloaded no problem there but noticed there is a trial meaning have to pay. Thought i was going to use it like you said, to see attachments only. Coz i dont really like it i dont want to pay for it just to see attachments. However i ahve noticed that emails get delivered to touchdown instantly, like 1 second. but delivers to the G2 at least a minute later and sometimes more. I think definitely lg app problem. because it worked on the sony and htc too.

Anyways, i think i better find another email app to solve this, just dont know which one...... any more recommendations?

i cant believe no one else has this issue. I also had zoho technical services look into this for months and they cannot find any issues with the account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones