• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Attack of the n00b: first Android phone help

neverender

Mar 26, 2010
I have no idea where to go to get these (probably routine, simple) questions asked. Thanks for answers/links.

I just purchased my phone and I'm really excited. And nervous, is that weird?

Anyway...

1. I have a MacBook Pro w/ my music on itunes, although I didn't buy any of it through them. Is there any issue with connecting my new phone to my computer and getting my music stuff on it? Is it easy or do I need to read about how to do it from somewhere? FWIW, easy to me = drag and drop, or have it automatically transfer.

1a. I am hoping to replace my ipod touch with this device. Realistic? Or silly dream?

2. What should I do to the phone when I first get it? Are there things Verizon includes that I should delete (like when you first buy a computer and it's preloaded w/ a ton of crap)? Are there things I need to immediately get?

2b. I assume those things I need to immediately get are apps. Can I browse them now w/out the phone or can I only do it from the phone? What are the "must haves"? Is there a website that lists the most popular/useful apps?

3. Is there a good tutorial for how to get the most out of Android? Or do I just monkey around and see what I like/dislike?

4. Should I root this thing? Not quire sure what that means, but it seems to be what the cool kids do.

4b. Other than paying for the teething thing from VZW, is rooting the only way to get that ability?

Thanks for any help.

1. As long as the music doesn't have DRM, then you're good. You can use DoubleTwist to automatically connect to your phone or use the Mount/Copy/Paste method.

1a. You can definitely replace your iPod Touch, just make sure you have enough juice on your phone--might want to get an extra battery or extended life battery.

2. Sign onto your Gmail account/Register a Gmail account. There is virtually not VZN garbage on the phone when you receive it, if you want any VZN garbage you can install it via Android Market.

2b. You can only access the entire Android Market via phone. There are websites like SlideMe which allows you to purchase apps and download the .apk file to install onto your phone. Handcent/Ringo would be one I can think of on the top of my head. There is also... Robo Defense and... PDAnet.

3. Monkey around, when you have more questions, just ask.

Upvote 0
I've found when using just the audio player you don't eat up much of the battery as the screen is off most of the time. Of course having gps / wifi on at the same time will make it drain that much quicker, but not enough to mess with turning them off unless you plan on listening to music for more than 3-4 hours and don't plan on going anywhere where those features are needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones