1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Attempt to get one early?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xbound, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Xbound

Xbound Newbie
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    Hello all, I pre-ordered on Sunday, and was thinking of showing up to BB late tomorrow to ask for my unit early.

Anyone else thinking of doing the same? or anyone try this at BB before?

I really dont want to deal with the hassle on Thursday morning.

Advertisement

2. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    they are under order not to do this, so you will be wasting your time if you attempt this. and late tomorrow, why cant you wait a few more hours? first thing 10 am its yours.... you waited 2 months.. whats a few hours.. :D

3. melantus

melantus Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Yeah i dont see the hassle... Your just wasting your time and gas just get it on thursday. This isnt an ipad sale day i dont think theres going be droves oc people at bestbuy thursday for xooms lol

4. Jamace1

Jamace1 Newbie
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I got my Xoom!! I'm so excited, all I wanna do is Moto Xoom, Xoom, Xoom! Lol. Sorry couldn't resist.

I got it at 6 PM on the eve of release date.

I preordered from BBY but I was curious so I went to the local Costco and all they could do was give me a card with a number to call tomorrow.

I ran over to the local MyBullfrog VZW store and the guy had a dummy that he let me handle.

Luckily, the regional manager just happened to be in the store and told me that his other store had ONE working model and he was authorized to sell it. I said, "If this is true, consider it sold!"

They ran the paperwork there and I just showed up at the other store to pick it up.

No accessories available but I still have the $50 gift card for BBY so I will spend that tomorrow at launch for a case.

As for the plan and pricing:

I almost went the non-contract way. they had a month-to-month data plan with no contract but the Xoom would cost $800 out the door.

The longer I thought about it, I decided to go for the contract and pay only $600. The data plan was going to be the same ($20 per month) either way. I also thought about when I would be selling the Xoom or if I was ever going to be selling it. I realized, I was not going to be selling it right away regardless so why not a 2-year plan.

I asked myself this: Am I going to be buying a tablet every 6 months or every year? No! I'm not crazy enough to buy a tablet every time one is released. So the 2-year plan was not a big deal to me.

Of course, if I am just going to do the wifi thing, then yes, I would go for the no contract $800 version but I will be heavily using its GPS turn-by turn feature for trips, etc. This uses the 3G/4G data plan and something I would need when I'm in the car.

I just unboxed it for the second time. I had to open it in the store to make sure it would turn on and connect to their network.

Out the door: Xoom at $600 with $20/1 gig per month data plan 2 year contract. Included in the box is a USB cable for connection to the computer and a charger cable.

marctronixx likes this.
  5. Proph

Proph Android Enthusiast
    None

May 5, 2010
    Houston, TX
    pictures or it didn't happen.... just kidding i would like to see pictures of it though.

6. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Teacher/Church Planter/ Basketball Coach
    Cincinnati
    I went to my BBY tonight and played dumb. I went to the "device pick up" window because I saw a young female employee manning the window alone. I thought if I had any chance of talking it out of an employee, she's my mark. I showed her my paper and my receipt for my Xoom and said I had read that they were in stock and hoped I could go ahead and pick it up. She said she would go look for it. She searched some shelves with lots of electronics on it. She asked my name and pulled a box off of the shelf. It was NOT a Xoom. :( She said that she couldn't find it but I should stop by the phone guys and talk to them. I knew that would be a bad idea so I went into the computer department looking for someone like the girl that I just talked to that MAY be willing to go into the back and bring it out for me. The guy I talked to "thought" that they couldn't sell them until Thursday but he wasn't sure. I showed him my paper and it didn't say anywhere on it "do not sell until 2/24". I followed him to the counter and he pulled out the ad and said that he could have swore that he'd read somewhere that it said Thursday. As he flipped through the ad he passed the Xoom page and seemed frustrated. I kept playing dumb saying, I'm pretty sure they are available now, but if not that's OK I can come back tomorrow. He apologized to me and said that if he didn't find it in the ad he'd go ahead and sell it to me tonight. As he closed the ad, it fell open to the first of the ad and there in front of him was the ad for the Xoom and clearly it says, delivery on 2/24. He apologized again and I even tried to say that it's almost closing time, he laughed and said nice try. Oh well, tomorrow awaits.

marctronixx likes this.
  7. redshift1

redshift1 Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    pic's , receipt and a video deposition from the regional manager.

8. Jamace1

Jamace1 Newbie
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Lol if you insist. first pic is of the receipt. i scrubbed out the personal info obviously. Second is the same receipt with my new Xoom!!

That's all I'm posting. I would prefer to play with the darn thing and report anything else interesting I find than proving it :p

Oh, the total price on the invoice is higher because of sales tax and I bought a case for another phone.

Attached Files:

redshift1, CivEngPE and marctronixx like this.