• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Attempt to make first simple app

andyc1988

Lurker
Apr 13, 2017
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post on but I'd appreciate any advice you can provide.

I'd like to "have a go" at app design. I have an ideal first project in mind; it's functional, would have a userbase of several hundred people and should be relatively simple in it's design...I just need to find the right tools for making the app!

The brief
At work, we complete paper forms to submit overtime and expenses claims. I want to make an app that allows users to enter the relevant data, then export it into a predefined form at the end of the month in either PDF, XLS or JPG format for printing.

I'm capable of making such a form as a website or in MS Access, but both of those provide compatibility and implementation issues with staff using mobile phones to enter data. I'm not sure if there's a design app that would help me create an Android app for this purpose? Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about code and although I'd like to learn, this project isn't the appropriate time to do it. I'm under no illusions that it'll take dozens of hours of work to create this app, I just can't invest the hundreds of hours necessary to learn the code to do so.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a GUI style app designer that might work for the above I'd appreciate it. The app won't be monetized.

Thanks,
Andy

There are utilities that claim to allow creation of apps with minimal coding, but I don't believe it's possible to create anything but very basic things. And from what you've described, your app has a few moving parts involved. You'll need a shared database, and this will require a web service hosted on a remote web server, so that all users can access it. You could even look at using Firebase for this.
But I fear that there's no escaping from getting your hands dirty and learning to code. Yeah I know, it's very time consuming, but there really aren't any shortcuts.
On the positive side, you'll find many online resources to help. Start by looking at the sticky posts here, which contain some useful links for beginners. e.g -

https://androidforums.com/threads/please-read-me-before-posting.987318/

You'll actually find that once you start using Android Studio, it does give you quite a bit of help, and even includes a handy graphical UI designer (a la drag 'n drop style).
Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones