• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Attempting this again...

I may need some help tomorrow, ok I will need a lot of help tomorrow. I can get to the point where I type in adb shell on SDK with VisionAry+

I type and I get
adb shell - device not found

by some luck I get past that and go to superuser
su - permissions denied

When I try to download a super user app I get as far as
download custom busybox... okay!
Checking md5sum... okay!
Checking current install path... fail!
Failed to find currently installed su binary.
Update cannot continue.

If someone would please help I would greatly appreciate it. I'm an idiot when it comes to this, but I will be back on in the morning to check for a response and work on this some more! Thank you in advance!

I may need some help tomorrow, ok I will need a lot of help tomorrow. I can get to the point where I type in adb shell on SDK with VisionAry+

I type and I get
adb shell - device not found

by some luck I get past that and go to superuser
su - permissions denied

When I try to download a super user app I get as far as
download custom busybox... okay!
Checking md5sum... okay!
Checking current install path... fail!
Failed to find currently installed su binary.
Update cannot continue.

If someone would please help I would greatly appreciate it. I'm an idiot when it comes to this, but I will be back on in the morning to check for a response and work on this some more! Thank you in advance!

Your going to have to be on adb shell in order to root. Also, are you on 2.3.3 or 2.2? If 2.3, did you downgrade first? What root method are you using?

If you getting device not found, do you have HTC drivers installed? You need to be a little bit more specific with what steps you have taken and what method you are using.

Upvote 0
The phone has Android 2.3.3, I don't know how to downgrade, I'm going to have to google that. I am using Visionary on there. What do you mean by HTC drivers: HTC Sync or HTC Sense?

I downloaded Visionary onto the phone and attempted to reboot it and it just went black and to my home screen, I guess it worked. I opened up a command and typed in all of the steps and it let me go until "adb shell" and then when I finally got that I was denied super user permissions.

Upvote 0
The phone has Android 2.3.3, I don't know how to downgrade, I'm going to have to google that. I am using Visionary on there. What do you mean by HTC drivers: HTC Sync or HTC Sense?

I downloaded Visionary onto the phone and attempted to reboot it and it just went black and to my home screen, I guess it worked. I opened up a command and typed in all of the steps and it let me go until "adb shell" and then when I finally got that I was denied super user permissions.

If your on 2.3 your going to have to downgrade to 2.2 before you can root. You should probably read up on this before doing anything else.. You need the drivers on your PC in order for you phone to be recognized by adb, htc sync should install the drivers for you.

Here's the step you need to take

1. Temp root using fr3vo
2. Push the misc.img to exploit the hboot
3. Downgrade using the ruu
4. Follow the root guide for froyo.

Here's a couple links that should help

Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers

STEP BY STEP HOWTO: root your phone, flash a rom (sense or AOSP), backup your phone - xda-developers

You definitely need to do a little more reading before you continue with rooting. If you have any questions though, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
Any suggestions on how to gain the temporary root? I have tried to get temp root with fr3vo, and have followed every step to a tee. It says successful each time, but in the end, when I run the root check, I get the message that the phone is not rooted. Don't know what else I can do.

If you are successful with fr3vo, you should see # instead of $ in adb shell. If you can get super user permissions in terminal emulator on your phone, that's all you need to push the misc.img to your hboot.

Upvote 0
The $ does turn into a #. But I can't get the superuser permissions for the emulator. Everything says successful, but when I run root check, it says I don't have root access. I just want to write one line of code, and this is getting frustrating. I am trying to lock the homescreen into memory, as HTC Sense constantly resets after any action I take on the phone.

Upvote 0
And the misc.img file is successfully pushed to the phone, or at least I am alerted as such.

If your able to push the misc.img through adb, you should still be able to run the RUU. As long as its being successfully pushed it should matter if su is granting permissions on your phone. Have you tried the ruu after pushing through adb?

Reactions: ebc1973
Upvote 0
Crump helped me through this exact same process and it was hell. Luckily, he put up with me :p Check out some youtube videos on how to downgrade and then cross check it with some information provided on this website. The hardest part in my opinion is getting all of the downloaded content in the right place. Once you do that, its cake. I wish you the best.

Reactions: ebc1973
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones