1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Attention car enthusiasts: Video I took at night on the Atrix mounted on vehicle dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gzrecoil, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Norcalz71

Norcalz71 Lurker

Thats awesome. I was actually going to ask soon whether or not there would need to be a mod to the car-dock to be able to shoot dash-cam style video and if some sort of hack would be necessay. Apparently not, very cool.

Advertisement

2. dsmoot

dsmoot Newbie

Stupid but sort of on-topic questions:

Does the Atrix "detect" it is in a car dock and respond or is the car dock just a "dumb" clamp that holds the phone?

I already have nice RAM mounts for my cars, bicycles, and motorcycle. Does it look like you could separate the car dock from the arm it comes with and glue on a ball joint for another mounting system?

Thanks,
    David

3. gzrecoil

gzrecoil Member

Yes it detects it is in a car dock and activates the "car dock ui" with larger easier to use buttons etc. You could mount it to something else however, but wait until you see the car dock you may be able to make it work. You can mount it to the dash or the windshield.

4. colnago

colnago Android Expert

There should be a shortcut to "car dock mode", in order to activate with any car dock. If not, the free app AnyCut will be able to create one.

5. dsmoot

dsmoot Newbie

Interesting... that tells me that there absolutely is some kind of passive sensor embedded in the car dock plastic itself. Because if I understand correctly, the car dock does not ship with any power source. So if the Atrix "knows" when it is in a car dock, that means there probably is some kind of magnet embedded in the plastic of the car dock.

Could be NFC stuff though, but I doubt it.

will try the anycut thing later.

Thanks

Edit: Feel like doing a nerd a favor? If you have any strong magnets around, put a strong magnet near your dock when you insert the atrix. If the dock sensor is magnetically based, that should "jam" it by having a much stronger field. Tell me if it still detects the dock.

6. colnago

colnago Android Expert

Car Dock mode activates when my Moto Defy is laying against the back of my Nokia E72...its magnets. It also activates in some leather belt holders which use magnets for clasps.

7. DT

DT Android Expert

There some in-depth discussion over on XDA about activating the web top mode without the MM or NB docks, and they've talked about magnets +and+ some kind of pin crossover in the USB connector.

They're running log monitors to see what the OS is chatting about, to possibly be able to simulate it through an app or config files.

8. colnago

colnago Android Expert

Again, I would take a shot at using AnyCut, as I was able to create a shortcut to the "HomeDock" mode, something that was hidden on my Defy. AnyCut will allow you shortcuts to specific actions/services/settings vs. just the app itself.

9. DT

DT Android Expert

Oh yeah, I was just adding to the Nerdgasm :D

I setup an activity shortcut with LP, so the launcherMain, shortcut on my home screen, run it, *poof*, there's the car dock app :)

The webtop is a little more complex because I think it fires up a bunch of additional services, including an entirely different OS (vs. the car dock which is just an app).

[edit]

I was actually enjoying the car shit-chat more than the phone talk yesterday :D

10. colnago

colnago Android Expert

The Corrado is "almost" track-ready...need new set of Wilwood pads, and charger rebuild, and its game on:

:)

[​IMG]

11. DT

DT Android Expert

I haven't seen a Corrado in ages! That's one looks beautiful and mint!

12. colnago

colnago Android Expert

Unfortunately, its a crappy camera, and old pic. Had to leave my car parked on side road "inside my development", for a week while I had family staying...I now have about (5) tennis ball sized dents on various body panels...WTF?

But the bigger WTF is when I was coming out of my kitchen after making coffee in the morning after hearing a loud bang:

[​IMG]

...but back on topic, I used a Bracketron Universal Cell phone mount in both my cars. I have the holder only, fastened by 6" elastic straps (with hooks) mounted on my visor (such that the mount is flush against the visor). May be a good way to setup "driver's eye view".

13. DT

DT Android Expert

Did it get hit and bounced up onto the curb!?!?

Jeebus.

Glad were in the boonies + garage.

14. tekonus

tekonus Well-Known Member

Ya know, I have a universal dock that fits the Atrix, but the power port isn't quite as accessible as I was hoping it would be for charging. This whole dash-cam concept might have just convinced me to jump on board and buy it.

15. nsvball02

nsvball02 Newbie

very neat idea. just received the dock in the mail today. cant wait to test!! i go to a bunch of car meets myself, so this would come in hand as the weather warms up!!

16. Erick161

Erick161 Newbie

Can't wait to get my dock. Pissed I didn't get it from att. They are out of stock now! Will be nice to be able to stick this on my drivers side window and be able to record some races between me and my buddies charger :)

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews