• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Attention vzw unlimited customers!

On the tethering issue, I look at it this way.

Compare tethering to a meal at a restaurant.

If I order their "Big Breakfast" (aka, say $29/2Gb) off the menu, they will bring me lots of food, but, it's a finite amount of food. I should be able to share that food with as many other people(aka, shared devices) sitting at my table as I want. After all, I paid for the food, the restaurant got their money, they shouldn't care how I share it.

However, if I order the breakfast buffet (aka, $?? for unlimited data). Then it's not really right for me to make extra trips, or bigger trips, through the buffet to feed others(aka, other devices) at my table.

Of course, in reality, I'd love to have one unlimited data plan, that I can use my Droid and my Xoom both on. (eg. Unlimited buffet, pay for one, but everyone eats).

Really, since this is really for one person though, I suppose it's more like 2 people at the buffet, but only one plate. So, two people are eating, but only one person has the plate at a time.

Ok, enough food analogy, it's making me hungry....

That is the best way I have ever seen it explained, I agree 100%

To me if they and going to do this tiered data bs then they should make the hotspot tether a free service, for those with limited data plans. I would be fine with paying x amount of Money for x amount of bandwidth then. Til then though... I'm locked into unlimited... Now if only I didn't buy this pos tb Haha..

Upvote 0
Well it seems that by trying to report first hand news based on experience I have opened a discussion on 3g usage. I have let this one cook a little just to see comments that maybe support what I found out and did not look for. By allowing the "update" you also allow a change in what these aps can do to your phone. If you notice the difference between what the older versions asked for compared to the newer, anyone that actually knows about what they should or shouldn't, will or won't allow will instantly know what I'm talking about. To the rest, it doesn't matter anyway.
As to the remarks concerning 3G usage, let's approach it from a practical and legal angle. IF using 3G TETHERING caused damage or interruption to ANY part of the system, it would not and could not be offered as a service. (i.e. pay for or coffee shop) and if it is offered for a price, then why argue about it's usage? If a service is offered and it cannot be rendered for any reason by the provider other than unforeseen natural causes, a whole lot of bells go off with FTC, FCC AND SO ON AND ON AND..... I put this here in hope that 1. people may be informed of my experience.(uninstalled updates and now I'm fine) and 2. maybe just maybe I won't get bumped off again to some unvisited place in cyberspace on this forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones