• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Attn: Gingerbread|cm7

Please help those of us who are less phone techie, but very interested....what exactly is Gretel and how will it improve the Ally? Does it upgrade the o/s to 2.4.3 (Gingerbread)? What features does Gingerbread have that we can't live without? :)

It's CyanogenMod 7, being ported to the LG Ally. Google it...better yet,
Let me google that for you

Sorry, I'm just a bit of a smart a$$ at times. :)

Reactions: biggiesmalls657
Upvote 0
Hey, no problem. I usually google everything before I ask. Don't know why I didn't this time. But it raises another question - probably a dumb one, but what the hell. I'm running Velocity, which I'm very happy with because of the hugely improved performance. Would CyanogenMod replace Velocity if I installed it? Or run alongside it?

Upvote 0
Hey, no problem. I usually google everything before I ask. Don't know why I didn't this time. But it raises another question - probably a dumb one, but what the hell. I'm running Velocity, which I'm very happy with because of the hugely improved performance. Would CyanogenMod replace Velocity if I installed it? Or run alongside it?

So, is this to be flashed the same as Velocity and such? And do I need to flash the google apps zip right after? Thanks.....:cool:

yes you can flash this like velocity. you must do a FULL WIPE flash the ROM then gapps. this is an ENTIRE new ROM and will completely replace velocity. most if the improvements of Gingerbread (2.3) that i want are UI stuff. there are others but its nothing real big like apps to sd from 2.1 to 2.2. but listen this ROM is not like velocity in that its not the finished product. look at the thread linked in the 1st post. There are LOTS of bugs and the sms and phone calls have been screwy. This release is to test it and fix bugs. not for everyone to just throw on, especially if you guys already have so many question. by no means am i saying you cant or anything like that. just if you do decide that you are aware and first you read all of getitnowmarketing's posts' in the thread linked up top here.

Reactions: azuma73
Upvote 0
Excuse my language, but... Holy shit.

I never thought I would see the day.

Also, do my eyes deceive me, or is this being built off of Gingerbread?? Will the Ally be seeing an official 2.3 upgrade sometime, or is this all extensive work by a dev team, non-LG supported?

edit-
To throw my support in, as soon as I get the D3 upon release, I will dedicate my LG Ally to testing this rom. However, I won't be able to do any SMS/Call/3G stuff, because it will not be activated. I will only be able to test functionality of the camera and anything that I can do on only WiFi... Not really much, but I assume all help is appreciated. :)

Upvote 0
There were some apps that would not work on 2.2.2, in particular sms backup. I did some comparisons on preformance. I'm running getitnowmarketing's OC kernel, but at 600MHz there wasn't that big of a difference. On 2.2.1 at 600MHz, my Quadrant score was 453 and linpack was 7.3. On 2.1update1 with GNM's kernel at 600 MHz, Quadrant was 575 and Linpack was 6.8.

Upvote 0
There were some apps that would not work on 2.2.2, in particular sms backup. I did some comparisons on preformance. I'm running getitnowmarketing's OC kernel, but at 600MHz there wasn't that big of a difference. On 2.2.1 at 600MHz, my Quadrant score was 453 and linpack was 7.3. On 2.1update1 with GNM's kernel at 600 MHz, Quadrant was 575 and Linpack was 6.8.
Then Somthing is wrong. THose numbers are really low.
Mine My quadrant is 1300 + and my linpac 9.5 Mflops

Upvote 0
So if we go to Gingerbread are we going to run into this problem?

No More Wireless Tether??

Verizon Enables New Wireless Tether Block, Asks That You Purchase a Plan - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

If it does, just use Barnacle. It seems to still be working for people who can't use the Wireless Tether app.

Then again, the Wireless Tether we have was custom built for Velocity, and isn't the one that was available on the market. The one from the market is the one that was affected.

Reactions: swc2001
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is amazing. You guys are the best. Don't get discouraged by the self deserving twerps that cry about things not working correctly. There will always be really stupid child like people that are too idiotic to be gracious when things are being done for them. 99% of us really appreciate the work you guys do here and understand that everything comes at a price. Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones