• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

audio and speed on Eris

bsutton1

Android Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm getting an android soon. If I see no passion soon, it will be an eris more than likely. I like the droid except for the look and keyboard. I wish I could have a droid with no keyboard and sense but that's not happening.. yet.
Anyway, how is the audio on eris as far as music and video? how is with calls?
How is your browser speed when websurfing? Did you find the newest update to make a difference?

Calls sound fine.
The built in speaker is surprisingly loud and clear. However most of the time when I'm playing music or podcasts I'm in my car with the phone plugged into my radio. I don't have any problem getting enough volume to hear the song or story - which is saying something considering I'm driving an old Miata. So the phone has to compete with the typical sports cars exhaust note and the general loudness that one has to deal with when driving a convertible.
I've not spent enough time with videos to have a strong opinion. The few that I've watched are fine.

Upvote 0
audio on videos SUCKS

youtube audio is fine

but when you load your own videos (mp4), there is a huge lag every single time. I can't stand it.

I thought so too at first, but you can adjust it. Just use the volume rocker on the side of the phone, and you can make it much louder. I can watch Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and it sounds great :D

Upvote 0
Now that I am here with all my knowledge there can actually be an intelligent response in this thread...

I listen to mp3s and browse the internet while on the train. Playing mp3s does not effect speed. I even checked CPU usage while playing mp3s and it was only a few % which was probably from system use. It looks like the qualcomm chipset has a hardware MP3 decoder so dont worry about it.

Upvote 0
audio on videos SUCKS

youtube audio is fine

but when you load your own videos (mp4), there is a huge lag every single time. I can't stand it.

Same with me. I love my Eris but it drives me crazy that I can't get the audio and video to match perfectly when I convert movies. My brother has the same issue with his. We've been able to get close enough to make it watchable but never perfect. Right now it's the only gripe I have with the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones