1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support audio jack, mind of its own

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by R4DIO4CT1VE, Jan 11, 2014.

1. R4DIO4CT1VE

R4DIO4CT1VE Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2014
    I am assuming i have another (yes another) Nexus 4 with an audio jack problem. When i have my earbuds plugged in, if i bump the earbud jack sometimes it pauses my music, skips a song or two, or opens up the Google voice control system. I have of course tried it with other earbuds and the problem didn't go away. Any ideas on how to fix this, or did Google send me another Nexus 4 that has issues.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    It may just be that the jack in the Nexus isn't any better than the ones they sell at Radio Shack. They're rated for about 0G during use. IOW, bumping them causes intermittent contact. And if you're using the fact that the earphones are inserted, and no buttons are being pushed to not "do things", it sometimes causes "funny things" to seem to happen. (Tiny 5 contact jacks - about what they'd need to have a separate contact for each function - are VERY expensive.)

It's what happens when you won't spend enough on parts to have to charge $3,000 retail for the phone. (I'm kidding - but an earphone jack that will take shock - and "bumping" can cause 10G or more - costs about $10, while the ones used in cellphones cost about 20 cents. If they did that to all the components - upgraded them - cellphones wouldn't be affordable.)

Tags: