1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Audio output to car aux - too quiet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mastiff37, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Mastiff37

Mastiff37 Newbie
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    I have a 2011 Jeep with a mini-plug aux input on the stereo. I plug my phone into this to play music, but to get normal volume I have to crank the volume up pretty high. It can get it loud, but then if I switch to FM or something later, it about blows me out of the car.

I'm not sure if these phones are extra smart, but if they are really intended just for headphones, they are meant to drive low impedance at low voltage, and perhaps the car wants line level (high impedance). A long time ago I solved this with a little transformer from Radio Shack. Am I the only one who has this issue? I surfed all around for some sort of a transformer, converter, or adapter to fix the issue but I can't find anything.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    As it's a Samsung, did you check the volume warning disclaimer that appears when you turn the volume up? Because otherwise the maximum volume level might be capped. This is really meant for when using headsets and headphones though.

3. KT88rock

KT88rock Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2017
    Having several different phones and cars in the family I finally gave up and went with several different amps. FiiO and Sound Shocker both available on eBay. Sound Shocker is much like your RS transformer in a nice package.

4. loonycgb2

loonycgb2 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 4, 2013
    Male
    CNC Machinist
    Houston, TX
    You need a better understanding of car audio or audio period before you rule out certain things.

For one is this a stock unit or aftermarket?

Second each car headunit has an internal amplifier so the internal configuration will lessen the voltage when another power source comes into play aka your aux.
    Only way to gain back volume is to raise the gain from the phone using something like viper4android.

Impedance is only measured by the speakers to amplifier connection, not the aux cord.

Get a dsp or get a better headunit with bluetooth and a better dac.

5. Mastiff37

Mastiff37 Newbie
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    KT88, yeah, looks like Sound Shocker is what I'm after. He's asking quite a premium for a transformer, but I guess he's the only guy on the market. Thanks.

6. hpremlap

hpremlap Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2017
    Hello. I found this via Google Alerts. I hope the mediators don't mind I'm Pete and Sound Shocker is my product. It is an isolated impedance matching transformer with a gain of about 20dB. The major difference between the standard and Pro is that the Pro has custom designed transformers with much better bass performance. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge launched in 2016 and was one of two of Samsung's flagship devices. The S7 Edge features a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 323GB of storage, and 12MP main camera sensor.