• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Audio Quality??

zim2704

Nov 5, 2009
Ok so I don't own an Epic but have thought about jumping from verizon to sprint for their superior 3g coverage in my area. The only phone that interests me is the Epic so I have been reading alot of forums and reviews. I have heard that the samsung is supposed to have great quality through the 3.5mm(i think because of some pre-amp or dedicated part of the processor...i'm no expert and cant remember what i read and where).

I haven't really seen to many comments about the audio quality from the 3.5mm headset jack and also the exterior speaker loudness and quality. Coming from the Original moto-droid it has the best external speaker on any other phone i've owned thus far but sub-par 3.5mm headset jack quality/loudness.

Can anybody give me some of their personal opinions on how they think the Epic external speaker matches up to the original moto-droid and how about the quality/loudness out of the 3.5mm. Thanks

my honest opinion is that the phone speaker, in general, is sort of 'loud.'

... i haven't tried the headphones for music too much, but when i'm on a call, it's usually near, or at, it's lowest level.

not sure if that helps or not.

...however, i *am* concerned about the phone's inability to run some nice audio apps... (ie., RTA) without either crashing, or being plagued by little popping sounds (barely audible) after opening one... :/

i'm really hoping 2.2 will help... but i'm probably just naive.

Upvote 0
The Epic is really good in its audio output (both over speaker and earphones). I have been extremely impressed with it thus far. I use the ear buds that came with the phone and was watching some youtube videos the other night while listening through them. I was literally blown away with how good it sounded! I think some of the HD youtube videos may have been playing in 5.1 surround sound (not sure). In any case, the sound was very captivating.

Upvote 0
It sounds good through earbuds, but I am not happy with how it sounds in my car. I have invested over $1000 in audio equipment and I also have an Ipod touch to compare it to. The Ipod sounds alot more clear, highs are clear and crisp, bass is tight. The Epic sounds flat, bass sounds mushy. I have played with my cars equalizer and also downloaded the MixZing app for the Epic because it comes with an equalizer. So far I cannot make the Epic sound as good as the Ipod touch in the car.

To do the comparison, i used the same MP3 file and both using their 3.5mm jacks into my cars aux in 3.5mm jack.

Upvote 0
The Epic is really good in its audio output (both over speaker and earphones). I have been extremely impressed with it thus far. I use the ear buds that came with the phone and was watching some youtube videos the other night while listening through them. I was literally blown away with how good it sounded! I think some of the HD youtube videos may have been playing in 5.1 surround sound (not sure). In any case, the sound was very captivating.

How do you get the earphones to work? I can't get them to work for Youtube or when using the phone. I would think they'd work by merely plugging them in, but I guess not.

Update:

Another Epic has to go BACK!!!!!!

Contacted Sprint technical support and the ear bud should work by simply plugging it in.

This will be my fourth.

Final update:

Well this is embarrassing. Went storming into the Sprint store to return my phone, and the guy behind the counter wanted to check it out first. I knew I had screwed up, when he forced the headphone jack ALL the way in. I had pushed it in and applied as much force as I felt comfortable with, but it wast enough, the jack needs to be fully plugged in. Duh!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones