• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Audio seems stuck in dock mode

Unforgiven

...eschew obfuscation...
Administrator
  • Jun 23, 2010
    Douglas, MA
    My wife's Rhyme has no sound when disconnected from the OEM dock but both the internal speaker and the dock sounds work when it is docked. Tried everything. BTW, I have had an OG Droid, D2, and now have a Galaxy Nexus rooted with an unlocked boot loader, I've loaded custom roms, kernels, blah, blah blah. If you know what I'm saying, then you know I am not missing a setting unless it is specific to the Rhyme or Sense 3.5. I'm currently baffled so any help would be hugely appreciated.

How does it interface with the dock? Via the Headphone jack? If yes, could there be something jamming the socket so it thinks there are headphones in permanently? Do calls work ok? (Sorry for loads of questions :eek:)

I've not used a Sense ROM in a while, but if you want, I can look through some Nandroids to see if I've a Sense 3.5 one in there somewhere to take a look at settings you might be able to try? It might give different options though as I've a different handset.

Reactions: Unforgiven
    Upvote 0
    Sorry, thought you might be a rhyme user as moderator of the forum, my bad. The dock connects and charges through POGO pins, which also activate BlueTooth, audio goes through bluetooth. the dock came with the phone. Last weekend she received a phone call when it was in a dock, the audio kinda wigged out when the phone was pulled from the dock during the call. Since then it hasn't been the same. She was sitting 15 feet from the dock and the audio from the phone was going through the dock yet the other person was able to hear her from the phone. I mean, what she said went through the phone mic while what her mom said went to the phone, then through bluetooth to the dick and came through the speaker in the dock. Now nothing comes through the speaker external in the phone

Upvote 0
    How does it interface with the dock? Via the Headphone jack? If yes, could there be something jamming the socket so it thinks there are headphones in permanently? Do calls work ok? (Sorry for loads of questions :eek:)

I've not used a Sense ROM in a while, but if you want, I can look through some Nandroids to see if I've a Sense 3.5 one in there somewhere to take a look at settings you might be able to try? It might give different options though as I've a different handset.

Kinda feel like a noob with htc sense, sorry. :thinking: I hope I wasn't insulting in the previous post, that wasn't my intent. I meant that I was naive in thinking that there could be a mod for each phone. I realized that the is unrealistic and that is what I was trying to convey. I reread it after I posted and though I sounded like and ass, so I apologize. The Rhyme came with a charging dock with built in speakers that connect through POGO pins (not sure what that means, three pins on the rear that match up with three pins on the dock). When placing the phone in the dock, it activates bluetooth (even if manually turned off) and runs audio through that.

Reactions: El Presidente
    Upvote 0
    I put a sticky in the ATR section so it's an easy enough mistake to make. No need to apologise or feel like a noob. That's far from the rudest response I've received (I wouldn't even have thought it was rude if you hadn't mentioned it, still don't either). :)

To the issue at hand, I think this sounds hardware related though although I could be totally wrong.

Upvote 0
    My daughter has the Rhyme... have you tried playing with the dock settings, the ones that turn wifi and BT on automatically?

Try going into dock mode while not plugged in (easiest way is to open the 'desk clock' app/tab and there is a dock icon. Click it to get into dock mode while not actually docked and turn BT settings on and off, Then I would try turning BT on and off to see if that helps.

Upvote 0
    My daughter has the Rhyme... have you tried playing with the dock settings, the ones that turn wifi and BT on automatically?

Try going into dock mode while not plugged in (easiest way is to open the 'desk clock' app/tab and there is a dock icon. Click it to get into dock mode while not actually docked and turn BT settings on and off, Then I would try turning BT on and off to see if that helps.

Thanks,
    I will try it tonight, sounds promising. I was trying to turn Bluetooth on/off but it hadn't occured to me to try in the dock settings.

Upvote 0
    I tried ^^^^^ but there was no BT setting in the dock settings, only the master. I tried toggling it a few times, tried unplugging the dock w/ the phone in it (to force a BT disconnect) but that didn't seem to work either.

Coincidentally however, I forgot to plug the dock in overnight, with the phone in it, and lo and behold, this morning it resolved itself and works again.

If it happens again, I will try to better document the causes and resolutions to help others, but it may have just been the phone having a brain cramp.

Reactions: NightAngel79
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones