1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Audio Static/Hiss with Headphones

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dagr, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Ok... so is anyone else experiencing this? The headphone jack slot has a really odd placement/shape (its on a curved edge). I've tried my unit with two different headphones, and both exhibit a fair amount of static noticeable in quiet music or movies or when just turning on/off music from google music.

Is it horrible? Not really. Is it noticeable & extremely irritating from my expensive laptop I've been pining over forever? Absolutely.

I'm not quite sure how to handle this either since I bought it from Best Buy online, and its not like they necessarily have stock for an exchange. (I wonder if I can schedule an exchange shipment and not ship mine back until I receive the replacement?).

I have quite literally had great luck with everything except this so far... no screen bleed, no update problems, tablet & keyboard work excellent.

Thoughts or suggestions? Is the headphone jack supposed to physically go all the way into the jack? Its odd to have a port that doesn't have a sort of "snap" when your headphone is in all the way.

Thanks in advance... this has been a great community!

Advertisement

2. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Well.. since Best Buy had more stock online today, I had them ship me a replacement. Fingers crossed that my next unit has less static / hiss. Kind of a hassle, but I figured that I have paid enough for this thing, I might as well do my best to get it working the way I want.

3. rz22g

rz22g Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Im using Bose QC 15 and just tested it with some music that is mild with big spans of quiet such as no vocals or instrumentals. Im not hearing a hiss. Maybe a few others will chime in as well.

4. bmacgyver

bmacgyver Member
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Maryland
    I hear no such hiss either. I'm quite impressed with the headphone sound.

Dagr likes this.
  5. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Ok, thanks for the feedback guys... it makes me feel better about getting a replacement. :)

... and I agree, the audio quality (when it wasn't displaying static or hiss for me), sounded quite impressive. I think it will sound even better once ICS hits with its built in EQ in the music player.

6. rz22g

rz22g Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Also as far as the jack itself and plugging in the headphones. I tried a few different headphones and none of them had that final "snap" you get on most other devices. There is also a slight gap between the edge of the Prime and the edge of the plug. I think its just that why be design.

Dagr likes this.
  7. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Great, thanks for the confirmation. Yeah, I've tried a few headphone sets now and all exhibit the same behavior. If I twist it here and there I can get it to go away for a while, but it always comes back. I have 14 days to return my current unit, so I'll likely wait until the new one arrives... having way too much fun with this tablet. :) (+ I'm really really looking forward to ICS coming soon!).

8. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Just as an update... my new prime is working great & no audio hiss/static at all... :)