1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Audio Volume Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Largepkg, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Largepkg

Largepkg Member

I use my phone as my primary audio source on my motorcycle through the 3.5 jack into my bikes stereo. With the Note 2, each time I plug the phone in the volume drops to 50%. I always ride with it at 100% and control the volume through my stereo. The holster that holds the phone on the handlebars covers the volume rocker switches making it hard to raise the volume. Is there a setting that would leave the volume at 100% all the time?

My EVO didn't have this problem and I've looked for a solution but haven't found it yet.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement

2. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Been tinkering around, sorry no answer yet but I see what you mean. Maybe its a safety issue with earplugs in when riding/driving.
    Maybe some of the guys with the update can try?

3. Guitar4him

Guitar4him Member

I've noticed that the volume on mine drops to about half whenever I plug something into the audio jack. As mentioned earlier, I think it's a safety issue designed to keep you from blowing your ears out accidentally.

GrandMasterB and drexappeal like this.
  4. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

Not sure you're aware, so I apologize if you had already checked it, but the general volume rocker when turning the volume down or up does not affect the other sounds, unless you go all the way silent or put the phone on vibrate mode. So, even if you may be using the volume rocker to turn the volume up and down, that doesn't necessarily mean that your notifications/media/system volume are going to turn up/down also.

On the original EVO 4G, there was a toggle for the volume rocker to control all of the sound settings when turning the volume up and down.

Easy way to find out is, press the volume rocker up or down and then click on the settings cog when the pop-up comes up. On the Sprint version, after pressing that cog, you should see:

Phone
    Media
    Notifications
    System

Each one having a separate level bar to control the volume. Make sure that your Media volume is turned all the way up and you really shouldn't have any problem.

Now...if you were already aware of this, my follow-up questions would be,
    - what music player do you use?
    - Do you use stereo headphones?
    - Did you check the accessibility settings to see if the "Mono" is toggled off, for when you're connected with a headset.

5. mygt8a4re

mygt8a4re Member

Thats exactly the case, there is a built in safety feature to keep from hurting your ears when the headphone jack is used. Though there is no setting to undo this, I know a way you can change the volume by using the touch screen as opposed to the volume rocker buttons.
    Install any volume control app, I use "audio manager". Its free and works well for the couple things I use it for. Basically you can have your jack in the headphone port, then use audio manager (wich has an option to be in your notification tray) to raise the media level back to full with a slider type action (along with changing all of your volume settings). Give it a shot, in no time it will becaome part of your routine and the volume rockers wont even be needed!

drexappeal likes this.
  6. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

That's interesting. I never knew there was a safety measure like that. My solution would be to buy a bluetooth adaptor...either a cheap one from ebay or the Samsung HS3000 (I have both and the Samsung one I liked a lot better because it has an on/off switch, rather than a button, and it is set up for stereo playback w/ audio boost).

You can connect it to any 3.5mm connection (whether it's headphones or directly to a stereo aux out). Once you have it paired with your device, I don't think the safety volume issue would happen as the hardwire connection does.

7. dewalist

dewalist Android Enthusiast

I personally use QuickProfiles to set things up for different "modes" like work, home, bedtime, car, etc. Plug in your headphones, choose "bike" and set the volume to be where you want.

I would assume Tasker could handle scenarios like this too...

drexappeal likes this.
  8. Fimble

Fimble Lurker

I was going to suggest Llama which will certainly work (I do exactly what OP wants to do with it) but I suspect all of your suggestions will as well.

9. karma2burn

karma2burn Well-Known Member

I also use audio manager as well but what I do is just use the lock feature. That way the audio level doesn't change. I use it mostly because I kept accidentally hitting the volume keys at work and it would go off vibrate mode.

10. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert