• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

augen 7" 2.1

I watched a review on YouTube and the guy had a hard time with the keyboard. It kept mistyping and getting the wrong letter(s). Is there a keyboard calibration tool like on my HTC Incredible?

The instructions indicate there is, but I have not found it, even following the directions.

Every time I try to reset it to factory defaults it shuts down.

/edit: they are already working on a patch for it:
http://www.augenus.com/indexhome.html/News.html

Upvote 0
So far what everyone's said is true.

1. TCC8900 board seems to be straight references design ( as a matter of fact, the settings info says it's an "EVALUATION BOARD" ). The chipset can run UP TO 800Mhz, but nominally operates around 500Mhz.

2. It is in fact, resistive.

3. I've run across a problem that I'm looking into, and will update you all on.

For ANYONE considering purchasing the unit, if you do, create a whole other gmail account for the tablet. DO NOT reuse the same email address account as you might have for any other Android device.

I'll update everyone more tomorrow after I've had a chance to speak to someone at Augen USA.

Upvote 0
So far what everyone's said is true.

For ANYONE considering purchasing the unit, if you do, create a whole other gmail account for the tablet. DO NOT reuse the same email address account as you might have for any other Android device.

I'll update everyone more tomorrow after I've had a chance to speak to someone at Augen USA.

And please elaborate on that point regarding gmail.

Upvote 0
Liqdfire is on the right track......

I am presently unable to reset to factory defaults on this unit. I've not only opened a ticket, but I spoke to someone internally to Augen about the issue.
They are supposedly issuing a patch by this afternoon for a couple of other issues ( one of which I had also run across...unable to download apps from the marketplace, and the amount of available/installed memory wasn't being reported properly ). I was told I'd get some sort of response regarding the factory reset issue today as well.

It helps being local to the company, but hopefully they'll get on this right away.

Besides these issues, I do have some real quips with the unit. The least of which are as follows:

1. Not accelerometer ( i.e. you CANNOT rotate the desktop ). Mucho sadness.

2. Battery life. Even shut off, the battery did NOT enter sleep mode. From a 100% charge at midnight last night, it was already down to 20% as of this morning.

3. Button placements on the back are wonky. They're all together, the labelling is very difficult to see ( and I have good eyesight ), and it's too easy to tap the wrong button.

4. There's NO directional pad ( I'm sorry, but I'm old school, and I have to have my cursors ).

5. There is no brightness control. Oh, the control is there in settings ( well, Spare Parts app ), but it doesn't actually DO anything. There is no software control of the brightness, and there is no brightness dial on the unit.

6. The audio jack is 2.5mm" ( but in their defense, they're offering a 2.5 to 3.5 converter jack for free to owners, and will ship with built-in 3.5mm jacks in the future ).

7. Includes a simulated Baseband. This means that the board actually has some sort of support for a 3G ( presumably ) radio, but is not attached, and therefore, the build simulates it. This is evidenced by the fac tthat despite there being no radio there's an "E" icon on the notification bar, along with an "R" icon with 4 bars ( This being presumably being the simulated radio ).

8. There is NO haptic (vibration) feedback, though the selection is there in the settings menus. Key presses will only include visual cues, or in case you turn on sound feedback, you'll get the familiar click-clack sound.

On the positive side ( You knew there had to be )

ROOT !!! This thing comes with ROOT enabled out of the BOX !
ADB will immediately immediately recognize the device ( 0123456789ABCDEF is it's ID ).

As I hear/find out more...I'll post it here.

Reactions: badankles
Upvote 0
Picked one up yesterday. Nice unit, turn off live wallpaper and it is quick enough. Market doesn't work, but that has already been stated. I can however load .apk's from the SD card. One curious behavior, the display can rotate, if you run Kindle it rotates 90 degrees, if you don't home out, but go to another running program it stays in portrait oreientation, so it can do it. Just have to figure out if there is a way to keep in portrait or not.

KMart in suburban Pittsburgh, still had 3 as of yesterday afternoon whenI picked mine up.

Upvote 0
okay, i picked one up yesterday but can't get it to work. the wifi setup said it's connected to my router, but internet, mail, or youtube no go. i need to at least get the wifi to work to be able to do anything with it.

also, it has some apps that i think they forgot to remove. i see 'dev tools' with 'terminal emulator' as an option under it. any one else have these out-of-box? why would they have this here for end users?

edit: i exchanged it and the wifi is working on this one, but it also contains 'dev tools'. interesting. haven't had time to play with it much yet. going to read through all the xda posts to see what i can learn about this thing.

Upvote 0
Checked my local Kmart today for one of these, they didnt have any (had a display sign though for it) THey wouldnt give me a raincheck for it though they told me they are getting a shipment of stuff tomorrow, and told me to call in the morning so thats what im going to do. Hoping to get my hands on one of these, we only have one kmart in the whole area. I really want one of these to do some developing and modding on.

Upvote 0
Just called them a few minutes ago, there shipment came in late and they wont know if they have any till this afternoon.

Anyone else having any luck getting any of these tablets or the augen android netbook? I saw a few of the tablets on ebay, but i really don't want to pay extra for a device who's whole attraction is how cheap it is.

Any luck?

Upvote 0
I stopped into one of the few remaining K-marts in Phoenix last night and inquired regarding the availability of the Augen. According to the rather bored looking dude in Electronics they received a total of 4 units in, they sold out within 2 hours of the store opening, and they haven't seen any additional units since.

I also asked if any other stores in the area had any. He said nobody locally has any in stock... and they could probably sell 100 of them if they could get a delivery.

Upvote 0
i'm currently at the beach about 3 hours away from a real city, but they have a little kmart here that still have 4-5 from original shipment. i was surprised and good thing they had more than one, cuz i had to exchange for one with working wifi.

anyway, the moral of the story is you might have to go long distance for one.

Upvote 0
To the guys who has it: will it worth my $150 through
my rain check to try this device out?

Yes...it was a little rough at first, but now that we have CLockwork mod recovery, an update that includes better calibration, AND an update that adds root with SU Permissions, a fix for the /cache issue once you've done the market work around, and a Nexus 1 boot animation as a cherry on top...

It's running rather nicely for me..got ADW Launcher, RotateD( for auto Landscape, Portrait rotation ).

So far the only applications I haven't been able to run are apps that require the accelerometer, and ones that MUST have GPS.

For some reason GLBenchmark will not run at present, but I've reported that already. OpenGL does work because I've used several example test suites that test OpenGL support, and I was surprised by how smooth this little guy ran at 600Mhz.

Mind you, I'm not saying I'm 100% happy with it. Not quite, but is it worth the investment to "test the waters"..definitely...someone already working on optimizing the Dalvik JVM for the TCC8902 ( the GT's processor ), so even w/o Froyo ( which, as I understand it, is being worked on ) this little guy should be reasonably responsive.

As with everything....your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Augen has already put out a statement apologizing for the misunderstanding, and is ACTIVELY pursuing licensure from Google. Get your story straight.

For the record...I do NOT work for, nor am I affiliated with Augen.

I;ve had mine for only a few hours, and other than applying the callibration patch havent really had time to work with it.

unfortunately from reading how easily everyone else is getting hooked up, I may have a dead WIFI and have to return.

I'll work with it a little while lonmger and see if maybe its me.

Otherwise I have to say for $150 this is pretty cool

LOUD too.

j

Upvote 0
Yes...it was a little rough at first, but now that we have CLockwork mod recovery, an update that includes better calibration, AND an update that adds root with SU Permissions, a fix for the /cache issue once you've done the market work around, and a Nexus 1 boot animation as a cherry on top...

It's running rather nicely for me..got ADW Launcher, RotateD( for auto Landscape, Portrait rotation ).

So far the only applications I haven't been able to run are apps that require the accelerometer, and ones that MUST have GPS.

For some reason GLBenchmark will not run at present, but I've reported that already. OpenGL does work because I've used several example test suites that test OpenGL support, and I was surprised by how smooth this little guy ran at 600Mhz.

Mind you, I'm not saying I'm 100% happy with it. Not quite, but is it worth the investment to "test the waters"..definitely...someone already working on optimizing the Dalvik JVM for the TCC8902 ( the GT's processor ), so even w/o Froyo ( which, as I understand it, is being worked on ) this little guy should be reasonably responsive.

As with everything....your mileage may vary.

I'm so pissed that my local kmart doesn't have this in stock, and flat computing (I preordered a flatpad) is first talking out of its behind and is plagued with specification problems that I'm thinking of getting an iPad (but I won't, since I love the expandable memory and USB connectivity). I guess I'll just be patient to get these two devices that is cheaper than an iPad all together! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones