1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Augmented Reality With Google Cardboard?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Tioko54, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Tioko54

Tioko54 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Hello I am new to the app development world and I am taking on a big project that I have been looking for and can never find. I would like some helpful input and suggestions to get started. what I want to do is make an augmented reality heads up display overlay of whatever my phone's camera is viewing. I have unity, the vuforia sdk, and the cardboard sdk installed, but I don't know were to start with unity to get the phone's camera and the stereoscopic side by side display going. any help will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

2. davidaliasmichael

None

Dec 31, 2014
    Male
    Augmented Reality Android apps can be built using the Android SDK as it provides the API for interacting with the camera. For 3D graphics the Android SDK provides OpenGL support making it simple for developers.

Basic tutorials for AR app developers : http://developer.android.com/tools/building/building-studio.html

There are simple 3 steps:
    1. Setup the Android Dev environment: Setting up the Android Development Environment

2. Download the Vuforia SDK and set it up using instructions on this page

3. Download the Vuforia App samples and compile your first app: How To Compile and Run a Vuforia Android Sample

This SDK's are very famous in today's Market

SDKs are those which help in developing augmented reality based applications. Layar and Wikitude – Android. AFAIK, Wikitude and Layar have made their SDKs public. Android Studio provides the SDK for AR apps development. For iOS it is Metaio SDK which has been acquired by Apple now

For more : http://blog.contus.com/augmented-reality-apps-development/

#2 davidaliasmichael, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. Tioko54

Tioko54 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Hello and thank you for your reply! I am currently in the prosses of making the environment, and I have alot of questions. Have you ever made a vr and/or ar appliction before? Would you or someone you know be willing to sort of mentor me in app development, just by answering some questions that I may have? I would really appreiciate it :) Thanks again for your help and I will keep plugging away at this app!

4. davidaliasmichael

None

Dec 31, 2014
    Male
    Thank you! Actually i am technical analyst not a developer, I have some knowledge about AR & VR. If you have doubt, please ask me, I ll try to answer that, In case i ll ask my fellow & let you know..