1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

aurgh! just dropped it!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ajdroidx, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Android Expert

Right onto concrete. Total fail.

Pulled it out of my pocket, it caught then rolled down my leg. Nicked both corners on one side, sim card tray popped out most of the way and cracked the bottom left of my screen.

Not even a month old.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

Unlucky man :(

Last year I smashed my nexus 4 first day i got it lol

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

I didn't want to take a chance with this phone. I have it covered with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case

SmallDL and DMajor239 like this.
  4. Lona808

Lona808 Well-Known Member

I used mine for a week naked before my screen protectors and case arrived. It was very daring, but I was extra cautious. Now I have 2 different cases and 5 extra screen protectors just in case. [:

5. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

Shit man I feel for you
    I dropped my gnex once while taking it out of the case to replace my screen protector it scuffed the corners and pissed me off

I have the spigen slim armour on my n5 and have dropped it once from about 4 ft on to hard floor no damage thankfully and it landed screen down

6. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Android Expert

I had a case in my Amazon cart on my last order but took it out figuring I would be getting gift cards.

The good news is the device still works. As far as I can tell at least.

7. mk_ultra19

mk_ultra19 Android Enthusiast

Omg.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Ouch! Sorry to hear that!

8. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

Great case, that's what I've got too.

9. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

What's the procedure with cracked screens and google? Because if you take your smashed iphone to an apple store and it's under warranty they fix it for free, according to a couple of my friends who have done this.

10. zipred

zipred Android Expert

Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

It's the bane of smartphone ownership.

Once it happened to me, short of using the biggest ugliest case on the face of the planet they still sustain some kind of damage.

11. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

I don't actually know that you are wrong, but I would be very surprised if you were right. At least in the US, for as long as I can remember, cracked screens have never been covered under warranty, although you can buy insurance that will cover them (Apple Care might do this for iPhone, but again that is extra $$). In general, warranties are not aimed at wear and tear, only manufacturing defects. If the cracked screen is due to a drop rather than material defect, they won't cover it.

12. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

What color did u go with? I went with Champagne.

13. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

silver!

in an electronics store some guy working there was more impressed with my case than the phone lol

14. nicole92

nicole92 Newbie

Exactly why I insured mine for accidental and water damage the day I got it :p

15. Lona808

Lona808 Well-Known Member

Yeah most warranties don't cover cracked screens. I know specifically LG does not cover cracked screen, or any physical damage for that matter, because I read the warranty in the booklet the Nexus 5 comes with. They only cover malfunctions due to manufacturer defects and faulty hardware. Also, Google doesn't cover your phone with a warranty, the manufacturers do. I feel for the OP. My advice at this point is trying to obtain a new screen and DIY fix.

16. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Android Expert

Actually thinking about a replacement. I don't want to stick my hand in my pocket one of these days and slice it open if that shard of glass gets loose.

Looking at the moto x. My luck with nexus devices has not been too good.

17. _sC

_sC Well-Known Member

ouch.. sorry to hear that..

i guess im one of the few that run my phones naked.

all my devices have never had any kind of case on them, and i have been lucky and/or careful enough to avoid cracked screens.

good luck with the repair, moto x, or whatever device you decide to go with next.

ajdroidx likes this.
  18. HanSolo

HanSolo Android Expert

Next time, look into getting SquareTrade. For $99, they insure against everything.

I never use a case; I like my phone as thin and non-bulky as possible. I'm pretty careful with my phones (dedicated pocket, etc.), but I figure I'll upgrade to the SGS 5 next spring, so I'm not too worried about tiny hair-like scratches.

ajdroidx likes this.
  19. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Android Expert

Long time no see, Han! Last time I seen you was in the gnex pre release thread. How goes it?

20. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire

You aren't. I love my naked Hammerhead.

21. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Ditto! :D

22. jamjr74

jamjr74 Well-Known Member

I bet u can still get a couple hundred on ebay for it. At least it will cushion the blow of a new one.

23. YMS_1975

YMS_1975 Lurker

Read your post, had to register just to reply.....couldn't help but laugh. I'm in the exact same boat. My Nexus 5 is sitting on my counter. In my room.

Which is locked! :D

Waiting for 4 more days for my ArmourDillo Hybrid Protective Case for Google Nexus 5 case!!!! :(

justanotherguy likes this.
  24. val88

val88 Android Enthusiast

Sorry to hear it. Been there, done that.
    Check the credit card that you used to buy it. Many have 90 day buyers protection. Mine did...too bad I broke it after 180 days.

25. ValY2J

ValY2J Newbie

Sorry OP, most of us have been there.. The only phone that I cracked the screen on was an iphone 3gs. Never cracked my G2X with multiple concrete drops with no screen protector or case. Nexus 4 also stayed crack free but it had a case but no screen protector and I only rocked it for 6 months. Now on that Nexus 5, case no screen protector..

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews