• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

aurgh! just dropped it!

Next time, look into getting SquareTrade. For $99, they insure against everything.

I never use a case; I like my phone as thin and non-bulky as possible. I'm pretty careful with my phones (dedicated pocket, etc.), but I figure I'll upgrade to the SGS 5 next spring, so I'm not too worried about tiny hair-like scratches.

Check out Worth Ave Group. Cheaper than Squaretrade, plus they cover theft, and only have a $50 deductible. I think my note II was $72/year. The nexus is probably only $50.

Upvote 0
I cracked mine after a month of having it (bought OCT, broken early DEC). I bought mine from Google. When I contacted them, Google transferred me to LG for warranty issues. LG had me ship my phone in and then emailed me the repair cost (and they followed up with a phone call). I filled out the emailed form and I autorized the repair and faxed it back to them. It was $146 to replace the screen and took about 3 weeks (from time I shipped UPS Ground CA to TX...7 day transit time) for me to get my phone back.

On that notes, I was searching the internet to find a replacement screen so I could repair it myself. At the time (Early Decemeber) I couldn't find anyscreen for under $200. And even now on ebay it's floating at about $150 + and shipped from China. So I think it was best that I had LG repair it for $146 even though it took a while for me to get back my Nexus 5. Also other repair place quoted me $300 and none of the local place had any screen replacement in stock and told me to come back in a month. Given all that I'm glad I have my phone back and LG did a great job with the repair although I wish the screen was a bit more durable.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that, OP.

I always worry about that possibility. I bought a leather flip case which I hope will offer some protection. I have also attached a clip via a short length of fishing wire so that when it's in my shirt pocket I can clip it in. I won't describe my wife's comments!

Some time ago, when I had a cheapo phone, it slid out of my shirt pocket when I leant forward and fell on to a paving slab. I've been ultra cautious since!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones