• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ausrion Insurance

jamisles02

Mar 26, 2011
I am up for a new phone this week and want to continue having the Asurion insurance on it. I know if I go to the Verizon store it is done automatically, but my brother purchased a phone from Fry's Electronics over the summer and it wasn't added. Are there other places I can buy my new phone (like Amazon, Best Buy, ect.) that will add it on? Also, if the store doesn't add it on, can I call Asurion and let them know that I replaced my OG Droid to my new one, so they can transfer the insurance to that?

PS, I've had nothing but success with Asurion when ever I have problems and losing them is not an option.

wow, usually people cant wait to get the hell away from assurion in my experience lol. Any retailer who has access to verizon's system can add assurion for you, but most likely they won't get paid, which is why fry's didn't add it on. Best buy offers their own insurance, which is absolutely horrible, and most premium retailers have a 3rd party insurance as well. They all have the ability, but most wont because they don't get paid commission on it.

Upvote 0
i get all my phones from letstalk.com (purchased 7 different phones over the 8 years i've been a vzw customer) and they have REALLY good discounts unless you are getting the newest and best...for instance...~2 years ago, i upgraded to the LG ally from that site...with upgrade discount from vzw and the discount from lets talk, i didn't pay a dime...plus had a mail in rebate for 50 per phone. they will let you add the insurance during the "add features" part

Upvote 0
As a general rule, insurance only has value up to the point where the cost of replacing the phone yourself equals your deductible. Once your deductible exceeds what you can replace it for, it is a complete waste of money. For my original Incredible, insurance was only worth it for the first year. But now that phones are going up in price, that time period is tending to get longer.

Also, State Farm used to offer cell phone insurance that was WAY cheaper and FAR better coverage than Asurion, but they dropped it last year. It might be worth it to look into other insurance carriers to see if they offer it.

Upvote 0
As a general rule, insurance only has value up to the point where the cost of replacing the phone yourself equals your deductible. Once your deductible exceeds what you can replace it for, it is a complete waste of money. For my original Incredible, insurance was only worth it for the first year. But now that phones are going up in price, that time period is tending to get longer.

Also, State Farm used to offer cell phone insurance that was WAY cheaper and FAR better coverage than Asurion, but they dropped it last year. It might be worth it to look into other insurance carriers to see if they offer it.

yes and no. I was paying for insurance on my original incredible after a year and some change. I did an insurance claim, paid the $90 deductable and got an incredible 2, brand new in the box from em.

Upvote 0
yes and no. I was paying for insurance on my original incredible after a year and some change. I did an insurance claim, paid the $90 deductable and got an incredible 2, brand new in the box from em.

What I said still holds true, even in this case. It all depends on what the insurance company is willing to replace it with and what you can get that same phone for yourself on the market. If your deductible exceeds that amount, then insurance is not worth it. If your deductible is less, then insurance is worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones