• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Authentication error sending...

waldo1963

Lurker
Aug 2, 2010
I have configured my DX for my work email. POP3 incoming mail works, is sent to my phone.

Problem is I can not send an email using that account. I get an "Authentication error sending" message on my phone. I have checked the Outgoging Server settings, and the SMTP server and port are correct. The username and password are correct. I have tried just username and username@domain.com.

I didnt not have any problems configuring my work email account on my Blackberry.

The email Server is IPSwitch Imail 11.

Please help, I hate having to send work related emails through my gmail or yahoo accounts.

Thanks,

Walter

Are you sure, that smtp username and password is right? (some servers need just 'username' instead of 'username@domain.com')
Have you tried different authentification methods (none=port 25, SSL=port 465, TLS=port 25)
Have you tried to send emails without login (some SMTP servers need login with username and password, some don't)

If your server uses self-signed certificates, you have to allow use of self-signed certificates in email client ( Issue 1016 - android - Email app should allow connecting to servers with untrusted certificates - Project Hosting on Google Code ), sometimes install of certificates is not possible ( Issue 6207 - android - Cannot import CA certificates - Project Hosting on Google Code )

Nice how-to for Droid SMTP can be also found on DROID X - Can't Send an Email

When nothing works, you can try to use k9mail instead of built-in client, its working fine on my (and thousands of others) phone.

hope it helps
best regards
David

Upvote 0
Yeah, this was a big let down. I use Netfirms for our e-mail server, and they confirmed that the Droid X does not support their authentication requirements... ugh.

Speaking to Verizon, it is a known issue, and Motorola/Google intends to fix, but there is no date set for this.

I went ahead and installed K9, and it seems to work for me, except for one issue... I have an email address from an organization that I'm in that uses their POP, with my SMTP for outgoing... I can't seem to set a different username/password for each server.

Yeah, work e-mails through google/yahoo/aol, etc. are terrible IMO as well. Try K9 email client.

Upvote 0
After banging my head on this one for a while I noticed that in the outgoing & incoming servers have "moto-android.stmp.mail.yahoo.com" or "moto-android.imap.mail.yahoo.com" for example. I removed the "moto-android." from both the outgoing and incoming servers and it worked the first time! Hope this helps you guys.
I did research on various forums that sent me in many different directions. This post was the answer. Thanks a ton for taking the time to post the solution.

Reactions: lextune
Upvote 0
After banging my head on this one for a while I noticed that in the outgoing & incoming servers have "moto-android.stmp.mail.yahoo.com" or "moto-android.imap.mail.yahoo.com" for example. I removed the "moto-android." from both the outgoing and incoming servers and it worked the first time! Hope this helps you guys.

I created an account just to say thanks for this post. :) I also tried virtually everything on my new Droid 3 and nothing worked until this. Thanks again. -Lex

Upvote 0
This was quite a daunting task, particularly for someone who is mediocre at best with this android business but I fixed the authentication error...Here is how I did it. Go to your Google account settings and click security, then turn off the 2-step verification, you will be asked for your password. Follow the instructions to disable the 2-step verification, save changes and that's it. Reboot your phone and everything should be back to normal. Good luck!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones